• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Slightly Concerning Swelling U/D NEW PICTURES Pge 3

lucybis

Young Bun
I've just come back from the shops and Maggies face seems swollen in the area just above her nose between her eyes. It's very slight and I cannot tell if I'm being paranoid. Could it be that she has inhaled something or that she is having an allergic reaction? I've had a good feel and its not painful. She's had a small amount of brocoli today and I noticed earlier that her resps were around 80/90, I opened a window and they dropped to normal. I'm quite worried being a new bunny mummy and panicking about everything small. She was vaccinated for myxi last week with nobivac vaccination. She's eating, drinking, pooing and weeing fine. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Can you post a photo of the lump ?

Do her eyes look puffy at all and are her ears unusually warm to touch ?

Was the vaccine given the new combi vac covering for both Myxomatosis and VHD (Nobivac Myxo-RHD) or was it the single dose Myxomatosis Vaccine (Nobivac Myxo) ?

217FAE7F-1EBB-4A45-BE1E-14239115C0DF-2374-000001F15504519B.jpg

Ears are warm, the swelling came up in about 20 mins, I cleaned out her cage before I went to the shops, I didn't use any cleaning products tho

can you turn her upside down (so to speak - cradle her like a baby) and look at her genitals? See if they look pink and swollen at all.

Genitals swollen too is a worry. I'd get her to an emergency vet ASAP. Better safe than sorry, hope she is ok.

I am afraid that this is most probably myxi - it MAY be a reaction to the vaccine but the genital involvement suggests otherwise . .

The incubation period for myxi between infection and symptoms is 10-14 days and the length of time it takes the vaccine to come into effect is variously 2-3 weeks (depending on type) so she may well have been incubating it before the vaccine.

Has she been vaccinated before?

Last edited:
:( sadly these symptoms point towards Maggie having myxi. Because she was only vaccinated one week ago, the vaccine takes 3 weeks to fully come into effect and she won't have the required amount of immunity to protect her from this. A vet appointment tomorrow would definitely be necessary and I really hope if it is Myxi (it seems likely though) she can fight this. I'm sorry :(

My boy reacted to the nobivac myxo jab the first time he had it. He had swellings at the base of each ear, where the vaccine had been injected. He didn't have any other reactions tho. My vet said she had only once before seen a rabbit react to the vaccine, she's very experienced and bunny savvy. I noticed the reaction a week after he had the vaccine. I really hope ur buns is just a reaction too, but I would take her to the vet to be checked properly. If it is a reaction, it will need to be reported to the manufacturer.

I noticed ur in London, where abouts? Do u currently have a bunny savvy vet? I can recommend a great vet in sw London if needed

My boy reacted to the nobivac myxo jab the first time he had it. He had swellings at the base of each ear, where the vaccine had been injected. He didn't have any other reactions tho. My vet said she had only once before seen a rabbit react to the vaccine, she's very experienced and bunny savvy. I noticed the reaction a week after he had the vaccine. I really hope ur buns is just a reaction too, but I would take her to the vet to be checked properly. If it is a reaction, it will need to be reported to the manufacturer.

I noticed ur in London, where abouts? Do u currently have a bunny savvy vet? I can recommend a great vet in sw London if needed

Thank you, yes please! I'm Camberwell/Peckham area.

Her nose is where the swelling is and I've never seen normal rabbit genitals so I wouldn't be able to tell the difference, there is a lot of hair there too. I rang the woman who rescued her to see if any of the other babies were showing similar symptoms and they are apparently all looking fine. She's still eating, drinking, pooing and weeing normally and is running around as usual. I think I will monitor her very closely tonight and if she shows any signs of not eating or drinking I will get in touch with an emergency vet straight away. (at the moment she has just found and stolen brocolli from my pocket!)

I'm ringing an emergency vet now to get their opinion and see if they think I should bring her to them.

Thank you, yes please! I'm Camberwell/Peckham area.

Her nose is where the swelling is and I've never seen normal rabbit genitals so I wouldn't be able to tell the difference, there is a lot of hair there too. I rang the woman who rescued her to see if any of the other babies were showing similar symptoms and they are apparently all looking fine. She's still eating, drinking, pooing and weeing normally and is running around as usual. I think I will monitor her very closely tonight and if she shows any signs of not eating or drinking I will get in touch with an emergency vet straight away. (at the moment she has just found and stolen brocolli from my pocket!)

Just to mention that at first myxi often does not affect the appetite - so a good appetite is not necessarily a guide.

PS If you CAN manage to photo the genitals then post that on here as we are all used to looking at bunny private parts!!!!

I have just had a feel of her bits and they are definitely swollen, I am contacting an emergency vet now.

I sent u a pm. I really hoped its just a reaction to the vaccine. But the swollen genitals suggest its worse.

I spoke to the emergency vets and they told me to book an appointment for Monday as she is eating, drinking, pooing normally. She is binkying around my room at the moment and showing no signs of illness apart from the swollen nose. I am going to try and take some photos of her bits now.

Back