• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding progress?

We are trying to bond our male and female bunnies who have both been castrated, but not sure if we are making any progress. There is no chasing or mounting whatsoever and they pretty much totally ignore each other but occasionally Truffle (boy bunny) tries to nip (girl bunny). We don't know own far to let them go when he nips her so push them apart, but maybe we are being to cautious and should let them interact further. Their ears are always forward and don't seem to be in attack mode. Any advice for how to proceed with them would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dave and Naomi

What size space are then in?, if the space is to big, they will sometimes stay apart,

I let a certain amount of fighting happen! normally its when they start circling fast tht I seperated, or I see one rabbit trying to tip the other on their back!

a certain amount of fighting is a must as they are settling the heirachy of whos top bunny etc! x

Can you talk us through exactly what you're doing to bond them? We may be able to offer more specific advice then (like how long they are together, how long post spay/neuter, space sie, neutral area, etc).

They've been living next door to each other for about 3 months until she was old enough to be spayed and he settled down after being neutered etc so they are well used to each other. They are never aggressive through the fence between them and while she was away being spayed, Truffle did seem to be looking for her. Liquorice was only spayed last week but the vet suggested we started bonding them straight away once he was happy she was healed up etc We have been putting them in the bathroom where they have never been in the shower cubicle seen as we have a wet room.

It is preferable to wait 6-8 weeks post spay/neuter to bond due to hormones. Also, she will still be healing internally too, and be sore as well, which is not going to make bonding easy.

How long are you 'dating' them for each time?

Try not to think too much about how they are in between bars because that doesn't offer any reflection as to whether or not they will bond.

This is the advice I give to poeple who are trying to bond so it might be worth a read. http://flashsplace.webs.com/bondingbunnies.htm

Back