• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Newborn Kits- Sore eye (indoor or outdoors)

cheriewalpole

Young Bun
My Female ( who i though was a boy for first 6 months of her life) - gave birth to two babies they are about 4 days old and i have been checking each day to make sure they ok .
Mum seems to have made a good warm nest for them - the nights have been quite mild 13c , but i worried that the temp might start dropping at night soon ( tonight its going be about 9c)
Should i move mum and babies indoors or will they be ok outdoors in hutch ?

Last edited:
I would go with no! as moving mum could cause her to kill the kits, just provide alot of bedding alot of hay so she can keep the nest very big, and maybe cover the hutch up, you can get heat pads! maybe slip one of them in the bed area, but not under the nest!! as they can't move away if they get to hot!

I have tried not to disturbe the nest as much as poss and have given her lots of extra hay and straw , cover front of hutch up at night and most of living area if raining.....
they are down bottom of garden at moment with the 3 hutches around them...should i move there hutch near house or do you think this might disturbe mum...i did think about moving it when mum was having her evening run about last night .

I have tried not to disturbe the nest as much as poss and have given her lots of extra hay and straw , cover front of hutch up at night and most of living area if raining.....
they are down bottom of garden at moment with the 3 hutches around them...should i move there hutch near house or do you think this might disturbe mum...i did think about moving it when mum was having her evening run about last night .

umm again if it were me, no I wouldn't move it, but you know your rabbit, like how territorial she is, does she panic easily etc, every rabbit is different, but if its outsidem its outside like I don't think exactly where it is outside will affect them much

My Matilda was very protective of her nest, anyone tht went near would get a good running strike and a good hard nip! so I wouldnt dare move the nest, it would of upset her x

sorry to hijack the thread but how long do you leave the nest there for?

a guy at work bought 2 female buns and typically one was a male and the poor young female had 6 babies 2 weeks ago.
i told him to take the male out of the cage and lent him my biggest unused 2 tier hutch. he moved th male into it but told me this week he was going to swap them around.
i told him it would stress mum out and that the nest shouldn't be moved etc.. explained as nuch as i knew to try help him understand and ithink he listened. i also said a baby could get hurt if they fell down the ramp.
so he then started asking me how long before he could clean out the bed area with the nest. . i wasn't sure but told him at least another month or so! but said i'd find out for sure and let him know.

never had babies so a bit lost!

Thank you

There is so much conflicting information online and friends - i don't really want to move them if i have too , i might have to move hutch near house in next couple of weeks as its getting a bit muddy and too many places to chase her round but think by time they get to 4 weeks that should be fine..

Luckily she don't seem bothered with me looking in ( but i only have a quick look at babies while she having a run) or the dog but then she used to the dog and tends to ignore her.
I did tidy her living room out the other day and gave her clean bedding etc to do what she wants.

sorry to hijack the thread but how long do you leave the nest there for?

a guy at work bought 2 female buns and typically one was a male and the poor young female had 6 babies 2 weeks ago.
i told him to take the male out of the cage and lent him my biggest unused 2 tier hutch. he moved th male into it but told me this week he was going to swap them around.
i told him it would stress mum out and that the nest shouldn't be moved etc.. explained as nuch as i knew to try help him understand and ithink he listened. i also said a baby could get hurt if they fell down the ramp.
so he then started asking me how long before he could clean out the bed area with the nest. . i wasn't sure but told him at least another month or so! but said i'd find out for sure and let him know.

never had babies so a bit lost!

I left the nest inplace untill Matilda decided she didnt want the nest anymore, it was about 3 weeks, she kept it very clean, there was abit of pee but nothing that was so messy! x

There is so much conflicting information online and friends - i don't really want to move them if i have too , i might have to move hutch near house in next couple of weeks as its getting a bit muddy and too many places to chase her round but think by time they get to 4 weeks that should be fine..

Luckily she don't seem bothered with me looking in ( but i only have a quick look at babies while she having a run) or the dog but then she used to the dog and tends to ignore her.
I did tidy her living room out the other day and gave her clean bedding etc to do what she wants.

yh you have to go with what ur bun wants, she'll let you know when you do something wrong!

They should be wondering from the nest by 2 weeks so will defo be up and about by 4 weeks :)

1 week
206908_2002164052386_2925362_n.jpg

2 weeks
207210_2021115686165_197496_n.jpg

3 weeks
206289_2031420863788_3631858_n.jpg

4 weeks
229921_2055028413962_391818_n.jpg

229862_2055032094054_415916_n.jpg

Thank you Emma for sharing your photos - so it should be ok for me to handle them from about 1 weeks as long as i get mums sent on my hands ?

This is the info I always give (it's stickied at the top of this forum). http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?327923-Accidental-Litters-and-Taking-on-Babies

I would be inclined to attach a snugglesafe on the outside of the hutch around where the nest is and keep that warm 24/7. If mum is not stressed then I woud suggest not moving her unless the temps drop. By the time they start to open their eyes you will be able to be far more relaxed about moving them.

Thank you Emma for sharing your photos - so it should be ok for me to handle them from about 1 weeks as long as i get mums sent on my hands ?

I handle him from day 1 but I smothered my hands in her litter and it was a quick 'bellys full' and put back, so out and in within minutes, and his mum was never in the room, she was always distracted somewhere else :)

i wont handle them for now ...will wait little longer i think.

1 of the babies seems to have a bit of sore eye area ( looks like a bit of a scab) - any advice.

i wont handle them for now ...will wait little longer i think.

1 of the babies seems to have a bit of sore eye area ( looks like a bit of a scab) - any advice.

Have you read the link I posted?

It's a bit of a worry if the baby has a sore eye. Can you take a photo of it not using the flash? I would be worried about a wound (maybe mum trod on it) or malformation.

Have you read the link I posted?

It's a bit of a worry if the baby has a sore eye. Can you take a photo of it not using the flash? I would be worried about a wound (maybe mum trod on it) or malformation.

just got some photos now gotta try find a way to get them off phone and onto here

That doesn't look great. Definitely a scab and not skin pigment? Does it look like it swallowed a ping pong ball (i.e. feeding?)? Is it lively? wriggling? alert? Does it's other eye look the same?

I would normally advice a vet check but it's not without it's risks. So you will need to weigh risks of each up against each other.

I would expect the bunny is too young for nest box eye because it's eyes should still be seeled. If they aren't sealed then potentially it could be but that would be a malformation. I think you're going to have to consider risking the vet check, to be honest.

Eye not swollen just what looks like a scab and very lively little thing with a nice round belly - my husband going show works vet on Monday morning unless it gets worse.

Ok, cool. If he's lively and eating then that's a great sign that its not troubling him. Excuse the pun, but make sure to keep an eye on it :) Very cute babies too, by the way.

Mum seems to be looking after them fine and didnt seem bothered when she saw me poking about ...came over had a sniff and ran off to eat more grass - when i put her back in she stuck her head in box to make sure they was both there and went back to munching new put in food.

I am keeping hutch as warm and dry as i can.

Just hoping that when my friend looked after them the other weekend that she didn't let my other female with my boy ...cause she said oh i let both girls out and they get on fine. ( They NEVER get on when out of hutch)

Last edited:
Back