• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and their memories.

Oompa-Loompa

Warren Veteran
How do you think they work? Do you think they are able to remember certain events (like a vet trip), or is it the association with a negative experience that makes them suspicious when they're put in a carrier etc.?

How about people? Do they forget people easily?

I was just thinking about this because I realised to my horror that next time I get to see the bunnies it'll have been a month since last time. What if they forget who I am? :(

But then again....Boris always remembers my grandparents when they come to visit (which isn't often), he hates them with a passion and always gets grumpy when they're around. So perhaps they remember more than we think? :? Share your wisdom, oh members of RU :lol:

Last edited:
This is something I often wonder, Elvis knows where his hutch is and because he doesn't like being picked up all that much he takes himself home from the separate run or my house lol

I personally think they remember more than we give them credit for, however, I don't believe they remember in conscious memories like us, but more in instincts and emotions.

I had three rabbits live inside who were moved outside in the summer of 2008/9 (I think). Earlier this year (so three years minimum after going out) I moved them back in and they just act in exactly the same way, sitting in the same places, and all of it. Very strange because I thought it would be all new to them and they would need to develop new patterns (be them new old patterns, or whatever), but right from the word go it was like they had never been outside. I'm sure they remembered on some level.

Poppy went back to stay with my ex a year after I move out with her, she knew exactly where she was straight away, hopped out of her carrier, up the stairs and under the futon into her old favourite spot, she didn't even hesitate.

Poppy also remembers my ex, there was a period where she probably didn't see him for 6 months but a typical period would be 6 weeks, when ever anybody else comes into her room she goes into a grump and hides, however,she runs over to him (he was always the favourite, I think she got a lot more food treats from him than I ever realised)so I'm sure your will remember you.

I don't think they remember individual occasions, mine don't run from the vet carrier like the cats do when seeing it, they just run from being caught.

In my experience in boarding bunnies for the past ten years, I think they do remember. The regulars almost seem to want to wave their owners off and get on with their hoppy holiday. They usually can't wait to check things out, start nomming on their hay and generally seem very settled from the start.

Back