• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Update on Gizmo the little harli lionhead

catherine09

Mama Doe
As some of you will read (can't link the thread atm as the internet is being rubbish!) I took on a little harli lionhead called Gizmo a few weeks ago, who had stasis and the previous owners didn't want him.

He was vaccinated 2 weeks ago, and was improving so much, no longer scared of me, poops were lovely and eating more hay etc...

Well yesterday he went in for his neuter, unfortunately things really didn't go to plan at all.

As soon as they administered the anaesthetic, he basically died. His heart stopped and he stopped breathing. Luckily as he was with a very savvy vet they already had him tubed, so were able to breathe for him and try and resuscitate, giving a dose of adrenaline to try and help. His heart was stopped for approximately 5 minutes and Charlotte (the vet) had nearly given up when it started beating again. They then had to manually breathe for him for 30 minutes :(

They thought he was braindead due to lack of oxygen, but by 2pm he had started blinking for himself again - at 3 he started twitching his nose and by 5 he was just about holding his head up. He came home with me at half 6 last night, with the hope that in the evening and overnight he would slowly come back into a state of consciousness so we could assess what damage to the brain has been done.

Last night he did become more alert, twitching his legs when we stroked him and blinking freely, and twitching his nose a lot. I tried on various occasions to syringe water into his mouth, most of it dribbled out but I am hoping that he swallowed at least a tiny bit. I'm not going to even try and syringe feed him until I've spoken to vet (waiting for a call back now) as I'm scared that as he is not swallowing the water very well, he won't be able to swallow the recovery food and there is a risk of choking etc if he can't work the muscles properly. I am very nervous as he hasn't really had any food for 24 hours now, I keep tempting him with basil, grated carrot etc and he moves his head like he is trying to eat it, and once he sort of moved his mouth towards the food but it's like he hasn't got the strength or knowhow to actually take the food.

He's still lay down, he can lift his head but not for long so it is supported on a towel for the minute. He can twitch his legs but nothing more. Had a few poops. Very worried :(

In addition to all this - the reason he was bad under anaesthetic is because he is chronic pastuerella pneumonia in his lungs, vet only heard it when the tube was in. Will discuss treatment for that when/if he gets through this....

Please, he really desperately needs all the vibes he can at the moment. Will update when vet calls me back

ETA: Just thought I should really have put this post in health instead of RC - mods feel free to move it

Wow. Your vet did a fantastic job at keeping him alive, but I'm surprised that they sent him home if he wasn't able to eat or drink. Even after a totally uneventful anaesthetic, I would expect that as the minimum requirement for discharging him. If it was my bunny, I would be asking them to look at giving him fluids urgently to support his other organs, and reassessing him. You can be shown how to do fluids under the skin at home.

Is it possible to tube feed a rabbit if it can't swallow? Force feeding if there isn't a proper swallow reflex is dangerous as the food will go into the lungs and cause major problems in an already compromised bunny.

I really hope that he comes through this.

Spoken to vet, she has indicated that I try and syringe feed a very watery version of recovery, so we did and he has swallowed some of it.

I've put a blanket over his cage now for him to rest after syringe feeding and I will see how he is in an hour or so. I hope this food gives him more strength.

Good that he's been able to swallow at least. Is he looking more responsive in any other way? :?

Sad news I'm afraid.

Little Gizmo passed away about 10 minutes ago. Before we fed him he had gone very lifeless and was going downhill. I said to my partner then he had given up so we felt the only option was to try and get some nutrients in him. I think he had given up a while ago and the syringe feeding came a little late.

Yesterday morning he was such a happy bunny, running away from me when I tried to put him in the carrier. I can't believe this has all happened. If only I hadn't taken him to be neutered he would still be here today :-( I can't help thinking he would have been better in his old home, at least he would still be here.

:cry:

Sad news I'm afraid.

Little Gizmo passed away about 10 minutes ago. Before we fed him he had gone very lifeless and was going downhill. I said to my partner then he had given up so we felt the only option was to try and get some nutrients in him. I think he had given up a while ago and the syringe feeding came a little late.

Yesterday morning he was such a happy bunny, running away from me when I tried to put him in the carrier. I can't believe this has all happened. If only I hadn't taken him to be neutered he would still be here today :-( I can't help thinking he would have been better in his old home, at least he would still be here.

:cry:

Absolutely not! He had underlying problems which would have only become an issue later on anyway. You just found those problems a little earlier. There are always risks with general anaesthetic but with a huge problem like his they were just more of a risk. In his old home he would have suffered for a long time with pneumonia and probably no one would have noticed. With you he got a lot of love and care and you did everything right for him. It just a sad fact that things like this can happen and no one could have guessed it. Don't beat yourself up, there was nothing you could have done better. He knew love and that's the greatest gift a rabbit can get.

I'm so very sorry. It's so unfair that you lost him after all the help you gave him but it wasn't an outcome you could have foreseen, and you should try not to torture yourself with "what if"s.... :cry:

He was with you when it mattered. He was loved and cared for and his medical needs met. He couldn't have asked for more. It wasn't your fault, and your vet did more than I would expect to keep him going.

Binky free Gizmo.

Awww...Dont be hard on yourself..... he died in a loving home..... I am so sorry..

With lots of love
Fee x

Back