• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

maximum metacam dose

Crunchie

Warren Veteran
JayJay got a dental yesterday and got sent home with some meds for the next few days. This included doggy metacam of which he's meant to have 1ml twice daily. This seems rather a lot to me, is it likely to be correct? It's a very savvy vet that seen him who is very good with bunnies but 2ml a day seems like a lot to me. :shock:

My vet told me that she not too long ago went to a bunny seminar. She said that resent research shows that rabbits metabolize the metacam faster than dogs do for their weight and can have up to 3ml. It does go according to weight though. Julie's vet likes to do the minimum that works but said for her weight that she can have up to 2ml. She is currently on .8ml for arthritis. She orginally put her on .7. She is a little over 9 pounds.

JayJay got a dental yesterday and got sent home with some meds for the next few days. This included doggy metacam of which he's meant to have 1ml twice daily. This seems rather a lot to me, is it likely to be correct? It's a very savvy vet that seen him who is very good with bunnies but 2ml a day seems like a lot to me. :shock:

AFAIK it is the top end of the dose range and generally should be reduced after the first few days. A high loading dose then titrating the dose downwards til the minimum dose for maintenance is established

AFAIK it is the top end of the dose range and generally should be reduced after the first few days. A high loading dose then titrating the dose downwards til the minimum dose for maintenance is established

Hmm that makes sense I suppose though the vet didn't mention keeping him on it for more than a few days. I'm not sure if he's still in pain after his dental though apparently he did eat straight away after coming round.

John Chitty uses 0.5-1mg/kg by SC injection every 12 hours. Dog metacam is 1.5mg/ml so based on this the highest dose, with your bunny weighing 2.46kg, he could have 2.46mg or 1.64mls of dog metacam every 12hours! John also said exactly what Jane said, that he starts high and then lowers the dose! He did also say that it's not one dose fits all you, have to know the bunny and work out what works best for them!

I went to the vets yesterday, poppy us about 2.3 kg and I think the vet said the max she could is 1.3mls.

Back