• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Off mum to early :(

DebbieLouise

Young Bun
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping iv got the right section, i work in a pet shop and a local girl breeds rabbits for them, well her last littler she took them off there mum at 4weeks old and brought them into the shop at around 5/6weeks, it is only recently we have found this out though. Luckily all the babies are doing well, apart from one :( Iv brought the little on home with me today due to its siblings pushing it out the way ect....he is super tiny for his age and very thin, iv also noticed when he sits still that his head starts to turn off to the left, i looked online and that can be from poor nutrition? not to sure if that's correct.

Hes still rather lively hopping around his box, hes drinking and eating hay but only eating TINY bits of food, iv brought a syringe today and i was planning on mixing some of his normal pellets with some warm water and making like a paste and just giving him it in a syringe for a few days to build him up and make him stronger..will this work? would it be better mixing with it warm whole milk instead of water?

I want to do everything i can for this little fella as he really deserves a chance in life, if he was not hopping around and wasn't attempting to eat or drink that i would do what we all dread and send him over the rainbow bridge but at the moment hes being a little fighter and im not putting an end to that.

Hi there. There's a sticky at the top of this forum about taking on babies. That might be worth a read.

I'm just dashing out but will come and have a proper read and think when I come back to see if there is anything that I can suggest specific to what you said.

Has he seen a vet?

My grayson was off his mum at 4 week to, it was a hard decission but she munched some of his ear off to it was a matter of safety,

he did totally fine on his own as he was eating and drinking already etc

the head tilt is abit worrying tho :/ i would get it a full health check xx

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping iv got the right section, i work in a pet shop and a local girl breeds rabbits for them, well her last littler she took them off there mum at 4weeks old and brought them into the shop at around 5/6weeks, it is only recently we have found this out though. Luckily all the babies are doing well, apart from one :( Iv brought the little on home with me today due to its siblings pushing it out the way ect....he is super tiny for his age and very thin, iv also noticed when he sits still that his head starts to turn off to the left, i looked online and that can be from poor nutrition? not to sure if that's correct.

Hes still rather lively hopping around his box, hes drinking and eating hay but only eating TINY bits of food, iv brought a syringe today and i was planning on mixing some of his normal pellets with some warm water and making like a paste and just giving him it in a syringe for a few days to build him up and make him stronger..will this work? would it be better mixing with it warm whole milk instead of water?

I want to do everything i can for this little fella as he really deserves a chance in life, if he was not hopping around and wasn't attempting to eat or drink that i would do what we all dread and send him over the rainbow bridge but at the moment hes being a little fighter and im not putting an end to that.

It's possible that there is something wrong with the kit, so getting a full vet check, with a rabbit savvy vet, is vital.

I would suggest a heat source (Snugglesafe or simmilar) and having it warm 24/7- this stops him having to use his energy to heat himself up and so can conserve energy. This should be done even if it's warm or he's inside.

It's great he is eating. What are you offering? Syringing may be fine if it doesn't stress him, but never use milk. At 4 weeks old he has an adult gut so doesn't need any milk so any milk you gave him would be detrimental. Equally though, if you can find a way for him to eat by himself, that would be preferable, so try a variety of hays, and also maybe try some fresh (maybe grass) but in a really tiny amount to start with and only as a last measure.

You could try a variety of pellets (but remember to introduce gradually) and also a tiny pinch of rolled oats (not quick, or instant or flavoured) which can also help.

Please keep asking questions. I've had a few kits who were away from mum too early for whatever reason, that have come in via rescues, and, with the right care, even the sickest one got through it. Not all can and will, but hopefully you are going to give him the best chance of doing so :)

Maybe you could try kitten milk replacer along with solid food. yes, and get it to the vet!:wave: an amish girl i once read about raised a very young rabbit successfully with milk replacer she made at home.
good luck!:D

Last edited:
It's possible that there is something wrong with the kit, so getting a full vet check, with a rabbit savvy vet, is vital.

I would suggest a heat source (Snugglesafe or simmilar) and having it warm 24/7- this stops him having to use his energy to heat himself up and so can conserve energy. This should be done even if it's warm or he's inside.

It's great he is eating. What are you offering? Syringing may be fine if it doesn't stress him, but never use milk. At 4 weeks old he has an adult gut so doesn't need any milk so any milk you gave him would be detrimental. Equally though, if you can find a way for him to eat by himself, that would be preferable, so try a variety of hays, and also maybe try some fresh (maybe grass) but in a really tiny amount to start with and only as a last measure.

You could try a variety of pellets (but remember to introduce gradually) and also a tiny pinch of rolled oats (not quick, or instant or flavoured) which can also help.

Please keep asking questions. I've had a few kits who were away from mum too early for whatever reason, that have come in via rescues, and, with the right care, even the sickest one got through it. Not all can and will, but hopefully you are going to give him the best chance of doing so :)

Grayson used to sit in my dressing gown pocket and I would walk him around with me like a little kanagroo! :love:

Grayson used to sit in my dressing gown pocket and I would walk him around with me like a little kanagroo! :love:

:thumb:

Little used to do that with me too!

Didn't let him do it very often though. This is when he was growing. Think this was the last time he went in.

Foster9Little291stDecember2010.jpg

Aww thats so cute, yh Grayson did it until he didn't fit tho tbh I think he would still do it, if he found a pocket big enough:lol::lol:

Back