• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fly Strike - is there a way of checking without picking the rabbit up?

Furries

Warren Scout
Is there a way of checking for fly strike without actually picking the rabbit up? I realise that as it's between the rabbit's legs, this was unlikely, but I just wondered if there was a way? For example, when my rabbit stretches up against the wire of the run to expose his/her belly, would this work as a way to check?

I used to check twice a day when I had to pick them up, in order to move them from the shed to the run and back again, but now I've changed my set-up, they have 24/7 access to their run. They're still easy to catch, so it's not a problem, if not. They're just not wildly keen on being picked up.

The best way is to pick them up and check them. Fly eggs are small so could be difficult to see if looking more from a distance, and they will often get in folds which can be tricky to see.

The best way is to pick them up and check them. Fly eggs are small so could be difficult to see if looking more from a distance, and they will often get in folds which can be tricky to see.

Thanks. Hadn't thought about them being so small.

I'd have to agree that you will need to pick the rabbit up- found fly eggs on Elsa this week and was surprised by how tiny and difficult to find they were- i wouldnt have found them without picking her up and combing through all her fur very carefully. Although she is white which makes it more difficult. Good luck, flies are horrible things!

Thumper detests being picked up so much that to be honest I'd be afraid of harming her in order to check for eggs etc as it simply stresses her out too much. I know you're all gonna jump on me and say well it's better than her being eaten alive - I know that, but I do do a specific stroke action all over her back/bum and lift her tail to see (she hates that too) and I do 'tease' her with something tasty so she has to stand on her back legs, usually up against the wire of the run, so I can have a look then. If I pick her up she goes mental, twisting, kicking and putting up a darned good fight. Oddly enough, prior to being spayed last November, she didn't mind being picked up and stroked as she'd tooth grind her appreciation. She's obviously older now so that's probably why, but bizarrely, Coco - who didn't like being picked up - now doesn't mind! Grrrrrr :lol:

Back