• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Toys

bethepoet

Mama Doe
I'm not really sure where to put this, so it's here.

I just wanted some ideas on how to make playtime more fun. I have three rabbits, two are a bonded pair and we're going to start bonding them with our single lady soon, so I need to keep in mind that they have to play alone for now but will hopefully be playing as a group later on. They live in the spare bedroom in XL dog crates, and when they're out the designated rabbit-appropriate areas are the hallway and a good chunk of the living room. They do like to wander around and do some binkying, but they also display a lot of boredom-induced behaviours so I want to get them some stuff to help with that. In their crates they mainly only have chew toys (toilet roll tubes, wooden blocks, cardboard, these things) because that's all they seem to like, but I'm trying to expand their tastes. What I've thought of so far is a tunnel, maybe leading into one of those heavy-duty cardboard boxes filled with straw so they can dig/hide, and one of those radiator beds for cats. Has anyone else used these? We never have the heating on and they like to jump, so I thought it might be a good idea. Maybe a scratching/hemp mat?

Any other ideas? I really don't have much money at the moment so I'd like to stick to homemade toys, or homemade versions of shop stuff, or cheap shop stuff!

Last edited:
thumper loves plastic flower pots as I found out in the spring! I was planting my seedlings up, had all the flower pots lined up ready to put the soil in and he would hop up, grab one then run of with it, he throws them and puts them on his head then hops around with it on his head, yes hes slightly mad lol, he also loves plastic linen pegs and takes them down to our old rabbit then leaves them at the ol boys hutch as if giving him a present, some times he nicks the kids spades or bucketts too which they find funny as I chase him round the garden getting them back:shock:

thumper loves plastic flower pots as I found out in the spring! I was planting my seedlings up, had all the flower pots lined up ready to put the soil in and he would hop up, grab one then run of with it, he throws them and puts them on his head then hops around with it on his head, yes hes slightly mad lol, he also loves plastic linen pegs and takes them down to our old rabbit then leaves them at the ol boys hutch as if giving him a present, some times he nicks the kids spades or bucketts too which they find funny as I chase him round the garden getting them back:shock:

That's adorable :love:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?303726-Rabbit-toy-making-and-enrichment-activities. :D

Mine have got small plastic plant pots they chuck around, just have to watch they don't chew them! :D

Ooh! My apologies, I didn't look very far did I :oops:

Y'know the 'forage box' on there? My idea was to do that, but to have it completely enclosed, with just the tunnel to get in/out. I wanted to simulate a warren kind of. It wouldn't be cruel or anything, would it?! I'm not trying to lock them in :roll:

Ooh! My apologies, I didn't look very far did I :oops:

Y'know the 'forage box' on there? My idea was to do that, but to have it completely enclosed, with just the tunnel to get in/out. I wanted to simulate a warren kind of. It wouldn't be cruel or anything, would it?! I'm not trying to lock them in :roll:

I don't think so :lol: maybe a few tunnels? Give them a bit more to do and more options so they don't meet each other mid way :lol:

Back