• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pneumonia & stasis nearly lost Evan

willowflower27

Mama Doe
My boy bun that i rescued in february has had three episodes of acute respiratory distress, now each time this happens the vet tells me his lungs become more damaged the culture swab from his nose came back positive for pasturella which in itself isnt conclusive although the x-ray did show what the vet think is abcesses and a consolidated lung lob this morning when they x-rayed him this am
At the minute after a dash to emergency vets he is on baytril, frusemide and GI stimulants as refusing to eat or move he's at home with me as a hospital environment makes him worse also he has lumps and bumps appearing so there is a possibility he has nodular Myxo. The vet has taken a blood sample to test his antibody levels to check if he mounted an appropriate immune response to the vaccine. As myxo can affect the lungs also.
How can I prevent this cycle continuing he only ever seems to be well for few weeks then he starts brewing a episode I keep the hutch spotless as amonia can exacerbate things, he has 3 weeks antibiotics at a time (should i consider longer course?)

Any advice appreciated have to sick buns at the minute and i am worried that Evan will have an acute episode where i cant get him to the vet in time :cry:

Oh dear he does sound to be very sick :cry:

It is likely that the gut stasis is secondary to the Pasteurellosis. It may be that all you can do is treat symptomatically as in advanced cases of Pasteurellosis a cure may not be possible :cry:

I hope he can defy the odds and pull through xx

Back