• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Why are flies sitting on Elsa!?

ElsasMummy

Warren Scout
Hi,

Wondered if anyone might be able to give me some advice- I found fly eggs on Elsa last week which were subsequently all removed and none hatched.

I keep noticing flies sitting on Elsa, sometimes 3 big flies on her back :( She generally keeps herself v clean, she occasionally has a very slightly dirty bum but was v clean today and the flies were still on her.

Why might this be?! How can I prevent it? She is protected with fly guard and I'm convinced that that was what stopped any of the previous eggs hatching (although I may upgrade to rearguard just in case as she is high risk)

On the advice of a helpful user in my previous thread I have started her on panacur in case it is EC related.

Would really appreciate any other advice, thank you!

What is her diet?

I would limit her to only hay unlimited and a handful of pellets (at night).

Veg/fruit could be causing her dirty bottom.

Thank you, Unfortunately she is a long term dental bun, she can't eat hay. She mainly lives on SS pellets and small amounts of herbs/forage.

And like I say she is very clean 90% of the time and the flies are attracted to her even when she's spotles :(

Can you put fly trap/sticky tape type thing near her hutch where she cant get at it. hopefully that will keep the flies away from her?...

I would certainly use Rearguard.

ETA Have you taken her to the vet to make sure there is nothing amiss with her?

I'm trying to work out how to fly proof her accommodation.

She's at the vets regularly- she has dental probs and snuffles which are both medicated. I guess I'll just have to keep a v close eye on her and get some rearguard.

Yes, put the sticky fly traps up, spray insect-repellent wherever possible and cover the windows/her housing with mosquito nets.

I support rear guard as an immediate essential here. It's so important to prevent fly strike.

After that, I'd get some Voil material used for curtaining. It's a very fine, see through mesh, & should keep most of the flies, out but you can never keep them all out, & it only takes 1 .....:cry:

It's possible that they're attracted to the smell of the purulent discharge from her nose, & she'll spread it over her body while she's grooming.

I'd be inclined to think the flies see her as an 'easy target' - I imagine a healthy, young rabbit would give off a different odour to an older, sicker rabbit. Flies will naturally be attracted to any animal that has an immune system least capable of fighting them off. By this I mean the fact that she can't eat grass/hay and regularly has snuffles, suggests that her health and immune system aren't as good as a young, healthy rabbit which eats a natural diet. Therefore she gives off an 'easy target' smell to the flies. I'm not wishing to sound unkind nor imply that you're not taking care of your rabbit, because clearly you are, it's the dental and snuffles which are the problem.

Thank you to all who answered. I think you're right about the snuffles/dental probs giving her a vulnerable scent. All these things that have to be taken into consideration with elderly/less well bunnies!

have you looked into natural fly repellants applied to her hutch? lavender oil is supposed to be good- if you applied in out of reach to her areas of the hutch it might help put them off .

have you looked into natural fly repellants applied to her hutch? lavender oil is supposed to be good- if you applied in out of reach to her areas of the hutch it might help put them off .

The problem with that is that you have to keep reapplying it, especially after it's rained.
The best one I know is bog myrtle which repells all insects including midges. It's as good as pyrecanthum & better than any chemical spray! Again needs to be out of reach of the rabbit. http://www.stopbite.com/

i hate flies! i saw one in my shed which i keep trying to get but cant! all bums are clean thankfully. but i had an ill bunny a few years back and the flies were all round her all the time so i know how scary it is

Back