• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeling Over-Whelmed (Again........)

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
So many of my Rabbit Family are now very elderly and some have chronic health issues. Although they are mostly coping at the moment thanks to various treatment prescribed by our Vets. But I am acutely aware of how little time many of them have left :cry:

At the moment I have Tess and Stanley, both almost 11. Tess has a suspected bladder cancer, Stanley has a vascular disorder and now a recurrence of a Respiratory Tract problem and an eye problem

William is also about 11 and he has Senile Dementia

Murphy, whilst only about 8, has a Thymoma and over the last week he has deteriorated

Hal, also aged about 8, has chronic lung disease and enlarged Kidneys

Morse is about 7 and he has a chronic ear condition

Big Libby is about 6 (Old for a Giant Breed) and she is showing real signs of ageing now

Miss Bunny Penny is coming up for 12 and I have never heard of a Standard Rex reach that age. She is arthritic but doing OK at the moment.

It is the fact that I will not be having any more Rabbits and as my numbers fall the 'finality' of the situation becomes more apparent

Just feeling very :cry: today

*squishes tight*

Nothing useful to say, but I have read, I do care and we are here if and when you need us.

Remember though Jane, all your bunnies just live for today. Can you try and join them in that? And hope there will be many more todays?

Big cuddles. I am amazed at miss bunny penny's age. Thats impressive.

Keep smiling hun. :p

Last edited:
I haven't got anything useful to say but that must be heartbreaking :(
Just think of the amazing life they have with you, they wouldn't have it as good with anyone else! You're doing the best you can and I'm sure they love you for that. From the replies you've posted on threads of mine you seem like a seriously amazing person, so helpful and you're an inspiration :)

I find it amazing how anyone could cope with so many healthy bunnies. Never mind sick ones.
I don't know why you came to have so many but surely you could manage one pair or so?

I'm not surprised you feel over-whelmed occasionally - I've found this last week tough enough with two bloat episodes and Dill's chronic lung issues (although he's seemed really well this week and been no bother other than medication).

Have a virtual hug from us, and bunny kisses from our buns as your advice and knowledge has helped them.

I think fostering may be the way to go Jane.
A lot of my bunnies are aging too - 6s & 7s, & the odd bun now struggles a bit in cold weather. In theory I'm not taking on any more, but please don't hold me to that in the next couple of weeks.:oops:

I have got this huge set up & depresses me that my group is only 5 buns now.

The fact that they've reached such old age is due to your amazing love and care. They are very lucky bunnies.

May I ask why you won't be having any more rabbits? I hope you can foster a few at least.

:cry::cry::cry: I'm not suprised that you feel this way. I would do to. It must be hard to imagine a life without bunnies, but hopefully you won't have to for many years to come.

I only have my 2 and people keep reminding me that they are getting old and this panics me a bit. I try not to think about the future. I try to focus on the here and now and not the what ifs, although it can be hard some days, and I do dwell on things a bit much.

It would be a real shame if one day in the very distant future no bunnies shared your life :cry: maybe a foster mummy would be the way to go? or one very pampered pair?

You are an amazing bunny mummy Jane, and the buns are lucky to have you (((hugs))) Xxx

So sorry Jane, I'm not surprising it's overwhelming.

I know when I joined the forum you had 39 rabbits then lost a couple and temporarily gained the Pet Shop Five. After 2 of the PSF were adopted you had ?43/42 rabbits and I think that was the point where you definitely said no more - I was quite shocked recently when you said you had (I think) 30, in only 4 years the numbers have gone down a lot, though I supposed 4 years is a lot in a bunny lifespan when so many are elderly. That many losses is overwhelming :cry:

Does it have to be absolutely no more? May there be scope for just one bonded pair in the longer term future?

Thanks everyone. There are very valid reasons why I wont be taking on any more commitments re Rabbits (or any other Pet) But I am unable to go into specific details on here.

One thing I do know for certain is that no loss has had such a profound effect on me as that of Sir Victor. I feel no 'better' about it today than I did the second he died. I feel totally broken and now I also feel very very tired. Tired of trying to hold things together and fulfill my commitments to the Rabbits I still have. I will do so of course. I love them all and I cant let them down.

Just got back from seeing C with Tess and Stanley. Struggled not to keep crying, feel such an idiot

:cry:

-hugs-
You're not an idiot, These buns are like your family, of course it's upsetting when they are ill etc xxxxxxxxx

I think fostering may be the way to go Jane.
A lot of my bunnies are aging too - 6s & 7s, & the odd bun now struggles a bit in cold weather. In theory I'm not taking on any more, but please don't hold me to that in the next couple of weeks.:oops:

I have got this huge set up & depresses me that my group is only 5 buns now.

is temptation raising its head ;)

Back