• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not very happy with my purchase :(

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
Sorry to keep on about a hamster on a rabbit forum :oops: but got my vivarium and am a bit disappointed really :( It was a faff to put together, I broke bits trying to screw bits in, the screws disintegrated so I couldn't screw them properly (and they're not just normal screws they're like flat pack ikea type things) Luckily I had a few spare as I'm not attaching the top as it will have a mesh lid.... But also a big prob is the runners for the glass doors r plastic and he's bound to chew it which could obv be dangerous if the glass fell out. I'm wondering whether to mesh the front aswell or get some plexiglass :roll: I'm also worried that a determined hamster could actually slide the doors open, he would only need to tiniest gap to get his little claws around... grrrrr hate it when iv made the wrong decision especially when it means iv wasted money!! Can't send it back and can't really sell it cos it's damaged now :roll:

You could sell the vivarium second hand? You'd make a loss but you'd be able to get something else you'd be happier with.

If bits broke when you were constructing it then I'd say it's not fit for purpose and you are within your rights to return. I would definitely contact the shop/seller.

Doesn't sound right that bits broke when you screwed it together, I'd try and return it on those grounds.

I've never seen a vivarum without plastic runners though I'm afraid. As for her being able to open it, the glass doors would probably be too heavy, but you can get locks for them to put your mind at ease.

If bits broke when you were constructing it then I'd say it's not fit for purpose and you are within your rights to return. I would definitely contact the shop/seller.

This! Definitely contact the seller. How disappointing.

I know what ur saying but I've already made adaptions, like I said it turns out because I didn't need the top on I didn't need all the screws. If I complain they'll likely just send replacement screws :roll: The worse bit was one if the plastic components broke and as I tried to get it out I damaged the wood slightly. Not too noticeable thankfully. I think il just have to cut my losses and remember never to buy cheap off the internet again! It's too small anyway, I planned to get another to add a 2nd level but I'm def not getting another now so might aswell use the money to get something better. Maybe someone will buy it on ebay.. Its just that the lid would have to be screwed on with normal screws if it was being used as a vivarium. Im just really upset with myself, im always making duff purchases even tho i try my best to think long and hard about what to get :(
Very tempted to do this now...
7995F3B0-BAB2-4D29-B1C2-8FF27B20C97B-54643-00003DCA29F7E26A.jpg

It's an ikea glass display unit iv seen afew pics of these, the unit is only £40 and I have one of the large expedit shelving units that people seem to have it standing on. Thought about it before but was worried about the huge size taking over my lounge :lol: Trouble is il end up spending even more on nice things to fill it with :lol:

How poo :( Ahh the detolf.. I would love one one day! around £75 with delivery from ikea but obviously cheaper if you pick it up!

Have you looked through these? There are some in there but the thread is huge now so might take you a while :lol:

http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/housing/23877-lets-see-your-cages-january-2012-a.html

As he seems to be a chewer I wouldn't opt for a bin cage. As I said before, the ZZ2 has been the best cage we have so far for a syrian. The only thing I don't really like is the blue base but it's not for my needs! On zooplus they have a lot of cheap cages that are above the minimum for syrians.

Are you looking for a tank? I would be more than happy to assist in your search (work is boring me to tears..!)

Might be worth looking at this too :)

http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/housing/4982-bargain-cage-thread-326.html

Last edited:
If you contact the person you bought it from, and they post you out replacement screws, maybe that would help you to sell it second hand?

maybe, as you've already bought this vivarium, it would be worth giving it a go and see how you get on. Even if it doesn't work it might show you some things you do/don't want in a hamster cage. I thought for ages about my mouse cage before buying a vivarium, and I have to say that getting the vivarium and using it has given me a lot more ideas than any research I did.

I have my mice in a vivarium and although they've nibbled the plastic runners they haven't done any real damage. If you wanted a lock I think I might have one somewhere from when I bought mine, if you don't mind covering the postage you can have it (although it might be cheaper to buy one from ebay :lol:)

How poo :( Ahh the detolf.. I would love one one day! around £75 with delivery from ikea but obviously cheaper if you pick it up!

Have you looked through these? There are some in there but the thread is huge now so might take you a while :lol:

http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/housing/23877-lets-see-your-cages-january-2012-a.html

As he seems to be a chewer I wouldn't opt for a bin cage. As I said before, the ZZ2 has been the best cage we have so far for a syrian. The only thing I don't really like is the blue base but it's not for my needs! On zooplus they have a lot of cheap cages that are above the minimum for syrians.

Are you looking for a tank? I would be more than happy to assist in your search (work is boring me to tears..!)

Might be worth looking at this too :)

http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/housing/4982-bargain-cage-thread-326.html

I don't really know if he is a chewer I think he's prob just bored in the carrier, can't blame him for trying to chew his way out!! I think for best value the ikea detolf is best option. I have an ikea near me and I'm sure I could squeeze it into my little car :lol:
Saw this on eBay which I thinks brill but £160 :shock: and prob quite easy to make yourself. For aesthetic reasons tho I think the detolf looks much slicker for something so big.

If you contact the person you bought it from, and they post you out replacement screws, maybe that would help you to sell it second hand?

maybe, as you've already bought this vivarium, it would be worth giving it a go and see how you get on. Even if it doesn't work it might show you some things you do/don't want in a hamster cage. I thought for ages about my mouse cage before buying a vivarium, and I have to say that getting the vivarium and using it has given me a lot more ideas than any research I did.

I have my mice in a vivarium and although they've nibbled the plastic runners they haven't done any real damage. If you wanted a lock I think I might have one somewhere from when I bought mine, if you don't mind covering the postage you can have it (although it might be cheaper to buy one from ebay :lol:)

Yeah good thinking. I have still made some adaptions as iv had to screw the top plinth on as it should have attached to lid, but obv needed it for the runners! Iv also screwed the wheel on :roll: but suppose its nothing a bit of silicone can't repair!

I don't really know if he is a chewer I think he's prob just bored in the carrier, can't blame him for trying to chew his way out!! I think for best value the ikea detolf is best option. I have an ikea near me and I'm sure I could squeeze it into my little car :lol:
Saw this on eBay which I thinks brill but £160 :shock: and prob quite easy to make yourself. For aesthetic reasons tho I think the detolf looks much slicker for something so big.

I get jealous of the ones I see on HC .. they are amazing! and such a good size! People have literally one section as a sand bath! :lol:
So much running space and still loads of room for toys :love: and for the price it is..! I stood next to one in ikea and it looked so good! We still had Hammy at the time and I begged my bf but he said no :( .. no where to put it anyway :lol:

You can tell I reeeeally want one though :lol:

Post 3 :love: That one is split in 2 but the whole thing is :love:

http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/housing/33941-i-want-one.html

Have a look through this one too :) it's how she set it up from buying it :D

http://www.hamstercentral.com/commu...ter-projects/25684-detolfs-robos-hybrids.html

Thanks :thumb: There's some brilliant set ups. I'm actually wondering now tho if I should get it for my guinea pig instead :oops: Been trying to think of something for him since he can't go outside now but ATM he's in spare room but really wanted to move him down to lounge so he gets more attention. Wouldn't even need a lid for him! Could put bed at one end and food at other to force him to exercise :lol: thinking of all the litter tho... And the smell!! :roll:

Can u tell iv been half asleep today :lol: Meant to say thanks to BattleKat for the offer of the lock, il sort something out if I decide to use it but thanks :thumb: Also this is what I saw on eBay but earlier forgot to add the pic doh :roll:
AC73D5BD-B770-4101-8C5B-49EEA83B5ACA-55016-00003E413EF229A4.jpg

Looks good but wood is a bit :? imo, what are the dimensions? It might all need plastikoteing just in case. I don't think those type of cages are recommended much on hamster central from what I've seen :)

Looks good but wood is a bit :? imo, what are the dimensions? It might all need plastikoteing just in case. I don't think those type of cages are recommended much on hamster central from what I've seen :)

Don't worry not getting it it's £160!! It is quite big but I'd have nowhere to put it anyway and it will dominate too much! Just thought it was a good design!

Don't worry not getting it it's £160!! It is quite big but I'd have nowhere to put it anyway and it will dominate too much! Just thought it was a good design!

Goodness :shock: Yeah I do like them, it looks a lot bigger than the "normal" ones you can get that are short and stubby!

What about a hutch like Jacks-Jane? And mesh the inside just in case he is a chewer? :lol: maybe fix some corex to the front so you could add deeper substrate and it wouldn't go everywhere, that way you could paint it any colour you want :)

Goodness :shock: Yeah I do like them, it looks a lot bigger than the "normal" ones you can get that are short and stubby!

What about a hutch like Jacks-Jane? And mesh the inside just in case he is a chewer? :lol: maybe fix some corex to the front so you could add deeper substrate and it wouldn't go everywhere, that way you could paint it any colour you want :)

Same thing tho I wouldn't have anywhere to put it. Think the detolf is the best idea :D but am worried its just a bit toooooo big!!! I think I'm going to try him in the vivarium for the time being anyway while I sort something else out. It's got to be better than the carrier! Just need to get some mesh and some other bits iv ordered then he can move in! Il take a pic once iv finished :thumb:

Yes the detolf :love: .... :lol: I think they're brilliant. You wouldn't have to add anything on or do anything because its such a good size :love:

...yes pics! I want to see his adorable little face :love: I'm thinking about a male syrian next.. Always wanted a boy but fate took us to our girlies! Not yet, when it feels right :)

Back