• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Going back and forth between houses with my bun

ancoal

New Kit
I have had my rabbit for about 3 months now, and often times, when I go to my parents house for the weekend I will take her with me. I normally put her in a carrier and then put her entire cage in the back of my car. She does great at my parents house, even playing with their dog. However, since I do this so often and would like to be able to take her with me without so much hassle (moving her large cage into the back of my car is both tiring and messy) I am wondering about simply setting up another cage at my parents house -- is this a bad idea....will it cause stress for her to be in two different cages in two different living environments? Has anyone done anything like this before?

As I said, she seems fine being at my parents home, but I do always bring her cage with me. Obviously, if i I got another cage to set up there I would use same litter, bedding, food, etc...

I have had my rabbit for about 3 months now, and often times, when I go to my parents house for the weekend I will take her with me. I normally put her in a carrier and then put her entire cage in the back of my car. She does great at my parents house, even playing with their dog. However, since I do this so often and would like to be able to take her with me without so much hassle (moving her large cage into the back of my car is both tiring and messy) I am wondering about simply setting up another cage at my parents house -- is this a bad idea....will it cause stress for her to be in two different cages in two different living environments? Has anyone done anything like this before?

As I said, she seems fine being at my parents home, but I do always bring her cage with me. Obviously, if i I got another cage to set up there I would use same litter, bedding, food, etc...

If she's used to going back and forth, I doubt it would bother her much to have a different cage at each house. She may spend your first visit a bit grumpy because something has changed, but she'll be back to normal soon enough. I'd recommend taking something from her current cage to leave in the other so she has something familiar there already. Maybe a blanket or something?

I have done this :) the last two years I've lived at my parents house over uni hols and my buns have a separate hutch/run at theirs. It's good because even though I've now moved out permanently, they still have their setup there so if I go away they can stay with mum and dad, and when I do visit them (for example I'll be going for a week around Christmas) I don't have to worry about taking buns :)

Also my hutches wouldn't fit in my car anyway so I don't have that option :lol:

My buns don't mind different accommodation, except it's smaller than my setup at home so I think they don't like that :( but it's only ever a week at a time so it's not so bad :)

I did this at Uni. I had one of those indoor cages that fit perfectly in the back of my little old ford Ka and Kizzy would travel in that and then use it as a base at my mum's.

Personally, I feel every weekend to be far too often to be carting her from one place to another - as rabbits are territorial animals I feel it causes unnecessary stress.

Back