• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm feeling really down about the rabbits

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
It's getting too much and I just want to cry.

Grim is dying. I don't know what to do any more. He's getting so thin and he's struggling to breathe. He has all the medication although I might be able to get him some different antibiotics. I don't even know if he needs a dental or if he's just not eating as much because he can't breathe. There is no way he could have a dental, he's so bunged up it would just be so dangerous and I just know it would kill him. But he's wasting away. When he does eat he shows no signs of needing a dental, no pain or anything. But what if he does, what if it's worth trying?

And Smoo is overweight. It makes me feel like the worst owner. I hate fat animals and it makes me feel awful when they are other people's, but she's mine. I have to leave food out for Grim, he has no teeth so he can't eat hay, and he needs soggy food down all the time. But Smoo just eats it. I can't separate them. I thought long and hard about it over the last few days. They're devoted to each other. Grim is blind and he searches the room for her and he's not happy until he's found her. I thought about putting him in a dog crate so they could still have some contact, but as he's blind and his nose is bunged up so he can't smell, all he has is touch. How can I take that away, especially when I don't think he has long left. And Smoo loves him so much. She cleans him, when he's up to it he cleans her. It's such a special and loving relationship and I just can't take it away. But it's making Smoo unhealthy.

I feel like a rubbish owner. I just can't do all the right things for them. Smoo is having surgery tomorrow for her jaw abscess and I'm so worried because she's overweight. I don't know what the increase in risk is but if anything happens to her I know it'll be my fault. I just feel like I'm going to loose both of them. Last night I was just hugging them and crying.

I love my rabbits so much but, with Grim especially, it's been so emotionally hard. I'd do it all again for him, but if anyone ever asked me to take on a dental bunny I don't think I could do it. :(

I feel like after Grim and Smoo I need a little break from bunnies. But what if one goes without the other? There's no way I can bond Grim again, but Smoo? What if she gets depressed on her own. The whole thing is making me a bit depressed. I'm trying to snap out of it and get back to work. :(

How can you be a terrible owner when you love them so much and get the treatment they need.

Please don't beat yourself up about it, you're doing all you can and looking at lots of different options if things don't work. That sounds like a very loving mummy and they are very lucky to have you.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry to hear you are feeling down, I can somewhat sympathise because I have Poppy with very bad teeth who will now only eat soggy pellets and an ever-increasing in size Peter who gobbles down the pellets before she has a chance, she won't eat at all if I seperate.

The fact Smoo is overweight is not your fault at all, you have had to weigh (no pun intended) up the pros and cons of what is best for both rabbits and in your case (and I believe mine), one becoming overweight is the outcome, there is nothing that can be done about that. The alternative would be something that un-settles them and would probably ahve a bigger affect on them tahn a little extra weight.

I can't offer any advice but am thinking of you, it is so hard when they are poorly and you can't do much else to help them, you just have to take comfort in the fact that neither of them could want for a better bunny Mummy, that is what I try and do, otherwise I would go mad!!

:cry::cry::cry::cry: Big big hug. I know how devoted you are to Grim and Smoo. With dietary differences its never going to be easy. You have done a wonder job caring and loving Grim and Smoo. You attend to Grims daily medical needs. You spent a lot of money on petrol to get them their special cupboard house. You are always going to the vets. Take them on holiday to your parents and bought them a special carry case. Many many things.

I know you are really worried about their health and Grim's ongoing problems. You are doing a brilliant job. Grim and Smoo are happy with you. I wish I could say something that would help about their problems but don't have the experience.

Thanks everyone.

I phoned the vets and asked if Smoo could have a health check before her operation so I'm a bit happier now. I might ask them about Grim too. I'm not bringing him with to the vets though. It would make Smoo happier, but it's not fair on him. I think he's going to miss her though. Maybe he should come with. Then they can see how bad he is too. :(

:cry: It's a very difficult situation and you're doing your best for them both. I don't have any advice but I can send some hugs xx

Thanks everyone.

I phoned the vets and asked if Smoo could have a health check before her operation so I'm a bit happier now. I might ask them about Grim too. I'm not bringing him with to the vets though. It would make Smoo happier, but it's not fair on him. I think he's going to miss her though. Maybe he should come with. Then they can see how bad he is too. :(

Sounds like a good idea. Would put your mind at rest as well. A shame you can't get someone to drive you there. It that the place in Norwich ?

Aww - hugs. You're feeling worried because you care so much - you're doing the very best you can with a pair of bunnies that have conflicting needs.

Sounds like a good idea. Would put your mind at rest as well. A shame you can't get someone to drive you there. It that the place in Norwich ?

Yes it's the one in Norwich. I wouldn't go anywhere else now. :D
I need to be there just before 9am and the only person I know with a car who won't be at work then is not very reliable at that time in the morning. :?
But I'm used to odd looks on the bus now.

awww :cry::cry::cry: No wonder you are feeling down (((hugs)))

I think the care you are giving to your bunnies is amazing. There should be many more bunny mummies like you, then there would be many more happy bunnies in this world.

I'm sorry things are so tough :cry: I hope things will get better for you all Xxx

It sounds as if you are physically and emotionally tired which is having a knock on effect with how you are feeling about the bunnies.

You are doing a fantastic job. Don't think otherwise. Could you try to be a little selfish and afford yourself some relaxing time to replenish your batteries? You are most important to your furry family and and have to be in good health.

Try being selfish and don't beat yourself up about things................please. xxx

It sounds as if you are physically and emotionally tired which is having a knock on effect with how you are feeling about the bunnies.

You are doing a fantastic job. Don't think otherwise. Could you try to be a little selfish and afford yourself some relaxing time to replenish your batteries? You are most important to your furry family and and have to be in good health.

Try being selfish and don't beat yourself up about things................please. xxx

My pets are supposed to be my relaxing time! :lol:

But thank you. :)

I'm so sorry that you are having such a difficult and stressful time. :( Please don't be so hard on yourself.

Sending you a big hug and lots of vibes for Grim and Smoo xx

Just want to add some hugs ((((((((((((((((Jenova, Grim and Smoo))))))))))))

I can't find the words to express the sadness I feel for you in your difficulties. You are an excellent bunny mum and Smoo and Grim could not have come as far as they have without you.
Thinking of you and sending you peaceful and comforting vibes. ((((((More hugs))))))))

Yes it's the one in Norwich. I wouldn't go anywhere else now. :D
I need to be there just before 9am and the only person I know with a car who won't be at work then is not very reliable at that time in the morning. :?
But I'm used to odd looks on the bus now.

At least you know they are seeing a great vet. Hope things look brighter after you have taken them there.

Mrs Bunnykins is right. Go and have a nice soak in the bath, or go and buy some naughty food. I am going to go and get some cheese and onion crisps.

To help grim fatten up a little could you syringe some food into him? Then smoo wouldn't be stealing as much of his food.
-hugs- it sounds so stressful.
You are an excellant bunny mum xxxxx

Hi, I was in a very similar situation with Milly and Smokey. Smokey had a respiratory problem- not sure whether it was allergy, asthma type thing or long damage from previous neglect.
Milly doted on him, but he too lost lots of weight due to the effort required with breathing and limitations on what he could eat. We gave him everything, his corvental on banana, grated carrot, museli mix and soaked pellets, short cut grass. Milly got huge but I accepted it, I knew ultimately we would lose Smokey and decided to leave them as a couple, knowing Milly would lose the weight after. We sadly lost Smokey, not to his breathing but he developed a head tilt and Milly would sit and support him, but it was just too much stress along with his breathing problems and he got distressed so we had him PTS. Milly did lose weight and we bonded her to Snowy, who we list recently.
Milly now has dental problems and we struggling to keep weight on her.
What I am trying to say is that being a bit big for just now, is ok in my book, it's not going to be a permanent thing, but it's of Benefit to Grim to have her with him. There is nothing wrong in that, as far as I am concerned.
Good luck with the vet visit.

Back