• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Twinkle ~ 16th October 2012

fluffiebunnie

Warren Veteran
I cannot believe I have had to say goodbye to my beautiful angel, my Twinkle. It hurts so much that she had to leave, but I know she wanted to go.

I saw Twinkle at a garden centre.. and I knew I could not leave without her. I took her home in the hope that I could bond her with Pickle, my resident male lionhead bunny. They did bond, and they seemed to get on well even though Pickle was a little on the rough side.

Twinkle started having problems with her tummy almost immediately and I tried everything to stop it. Nothing worked... The only thing I hadn’t thought about was stress and my last resort was to separate Pickle and Twinkle as I thought she might be stressed by him.

She seemed better for a bit, so I thought her tummy was better, and then I started worrying about the bunnies being alone. I went to ARC Twickenham and thought it might be better to bond Pickle and Twinkle with more suitable partners.

Along came Sparkle for Twinkle. He was a gentle boy and they loved each other. Twinkle loved being in charge and loved grooming him and snuggling with him. Even though she was very happy with Sparkle her tummy was not improving. She had to have regular baths. I would send many hours cuddling her in a towel until she was dried.

Two years ago Twinkle stopped eating and was in pain. I took her to the vets I used at the time and they only offered to put Twinkle to sleep as they said her teeth were bad. It was at this time I met Mark at Trinity Vets who treated Twinkle and made her all better. Her teeth were fine and I am truly grateful for Mark for giving me Twinkle for another two years.

After further investigations I tried a hay only diet to try and help Twinkle, and with daily metacam, the problem subsided greatly. I managed to introduce some museli and she managed well on this bland diet. I know she loved grass, but she just couldn’t cope with what it did to her tummy.

Last year Twinkle developed a limp although nothing could be found to be causing this and the metacam was keeping her comfortable. It helped with her tummy and leg. She never used a litter tray so the bunny house was always such a mess, but I didn’t mind.

This year I have moved twice and feel bad that Twinkle did not get to spend as much time outside as before due to the difficulties in housing bunnies on a temporary basis.

I had just got the new summerhouse set up with the aviary in September. I noticed that Twinkle was not well again and took her back to the vets. Mark diagnosed EC after blood tests. She was being treated and doing really well. Even her limp seemed to disappear, and then just last week I was horrified to see Twinkle on Monday morning with signs of myxi..

She lasted a week.. she tried to fight it.. but she just couldn’t cope. She was indoors in the warm in my bedroom, and we did have some lovely cuddles but already my angel was slipping away. Her last week with me gave her a chance to have some of her favourite spring greens (I was giving her anything to get her to eat), but it was causing havoc with her tummy again.

Yesterday she went downhill rapidly.. I knew when I was getting her ready for the vets that she did not look good, and as soon as Mark saw her he told me it was her time to go...

She had a strong sedative and I let her slowly slip away in my arms, I cuddled her so close and could feel her fur on my face, I hope she knew I was there with her. I told her that her mummy loved her and would never forget her. She went to Rainbow Bridge.

I don’t know how I am going to carry on.. I cannot believe she has gone forever...

Some photos...

Twinkle, the day I brought her home..

buns003.jpg

Posing..
DSC00208.jpg

After one of her baths..

bunny002.jpg

Beautiful..

DSC00376.jpg

With Pickle..

dec020.jpg

Having treats..

August201040.jpg

With Sparkle..

P270610_175001.jpg

In the new playhouse..

P150710_191402.jpg

After her first illness..
P020610_164503.jpg

Snoozing in the sun..

P020509_174703.jpg

Before veggies were off the menu..

DSC01411.jpg

With Sparkle..
DSC01351.jpg

Snoozing..

DSC00982.jpg

Enjoying grass..

IMG_0201.jpg

Some videos of how I want to remember Twinkle..

Enjoy the lovely grass at Rainbow Bridge my angel xxx

I will never forget you, Mummy xxx

She had a rough time in life, in many ways, but you did a great job with her. You have some lovely photos there to remember her by. :love:

She really was beautiful and I'm so sorry that, despite all your efforts, you had to do the kindest thing and let her go. :cry:

Sweet dreams little Twinkle, you know you were a well-loved little bunny.

I am truly sorry that the battle against Myxi was one battle too many for Twinkle :cry: I will certainly never forget the brave little Bunny :love:

J x

I am so sorry you have lost the very special Twinkle. She had a wonderful life with you and Sparkle, she couldn't have wanted a more caring, loving home than you gave her. My heart goes out to you.

Sleep tight beautiful Twinkle xxx

Those are lovely videos of Twinkle, she was so adorable :love: I am so sorry she lost her fight :cry:

Binky free beautiful Twinkle xxx

I'm so very sorry.

Binky free beautiful Twinkle. You did just that, twinkle in all of the photos and in your mumma's life too.

I'm so sorry, I'm in tears for you and Sparkle. She was beautiful and will be missed. Xx

I am so so sorry you lost Twinkle. Your tribute made me cry :cry: What a brave bunny she was and so lucky to have you looking after her and helping her all the way to have as happy and healthy a life as possible.

Binky free gorgeous Twinkle xx

Bless her, I am so sorry you have lost her. She looked similar to my boy, George, who I lost at the end of September - he was a black otter minilop. Losing a bun is just so horrid and painful - I am going through it currently. Sending you hugs and binky-free at the Bridge Twinkle. xxx

Back