• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best Before Date

Dave81

Mama Doe
I have some Supreme Recovery Plus which has a best before date for the back end of November.

How much longer after that date would you be prepared to use it? I know it won't have gone off but unsure as to how long to keep it for.

"best before" is different to "use by".

"best before" is just a suggestion that whatever it is - human or animal - it's probably fresher and tastier if used before a certain date. Therefore, I'd still use it after the "best before" date.

"use by" well that really depends on what it is. I've eaten yogurts a full 2 weeks after their "use by" date and had no ill effects whatsoever. However, fresh packaged meat kept in the fridge I would either use or throw away (or freeze to be eaten within 2 weeks after freezing it) within a few short days of the "use by" date, knowing what can lurk in meat.

Generally speaking (from a human consumption point of view) I disregard all dates, be they "best before" or "use by" - I have a nose and if the food smells and looks okay, then it will be okay to eat :)

Is it the powder stuff that you mix up?

I would put it in the freezer if it was unopened. That's what I did with Burgess recovery food after being recommended to do it on here and also checking with burgess :)

Back