• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone use straw as bedding?

I used it last winter for poppy and daisy but i topped it with hay to try and get them to eat the hay instead of the straw! I think Straw is warmer...it seems thicker and more cushiony than hay (if that makes sense?) I will get another bag this winter probably just for the bottom of their bed to offer extra warmth :)

I don't. But may well do When it gets cold! I used it for extra warmth and snuggliness. I tried it once before and I put it at the bottom and the hay on top so he didn't eat it! ;) I use hay + straw in winter so can't tell if ones warmer! ;)

I do! I bought some in error (thought it was hay :roll:) so thought I'd give it ago. Funnily enough Peter tends to throw hay around (so when I attempted to make him a comfy bed he soon made a mess of it!) yet for some reason he likes sleeping on the straw! So now he has a big cardboard box, stuffed with straw as a comfy winter bed!

The straw I've had has been beautifully soft - if anything I think it's softer and less likely to cause eye injury than much of the nice stalky hay the bunnies love! I use straw as bedding in winter because it is hollow tubes, there is lots of air to get trapped so it is a better insulator than hay. I stuff it into boxes and then add some hay for munching, and they just love snuggling right down into it. The loveliest straw I ever got was from the Dust Free Hay company, it was soooooo soft and snuggly.

The straw I've had has been beautifully soft - if anything I think it's softer and less likely to cause eye injury than much of the nice stalky hay the bunnies love! I use straw as bedding in winter because it is hollow tubes, there is lots of air to get trapped so it is a better insulator than hay. I stuff it into boxes and then add some hay for munching, and they just love snuggling right down into it. The loveliest straw I ever got was from the Dust Free Hay company, it was soooooo soft and snuggly.

That sounds nice :) We've only ever managed to get the rubbishy hard stuff.

Hay4pets straw is beautiful but the place i get my hay from does barley straw too so I might try that with 4 outdoor buns this winter :)

I use it in Winter. Mine have hay at all times of the year in a large supple in one hutch, but use the other hutch for sleeping. If I put hay as bedding in their sleep-hutch they'd eat all of it in one night, eat less of the hay in their hay/toilet-hutch, and then end up sleeping in an empty bed-area because they've eaten all their bedding :roll: but with straw, they eat just as much hay in their usual place, and then still have the straw as bedding in their bed area (not that they use it really, but at least they have the choice of bedding still) and they don't eat their straw (well they seem to have the odd nibble, but the straw doesn't disappear so they don't eat much at all!) so they don't end up with no bedding like they do when I've used hay as bedding (well except when Lilly decides to "tidy up" and throw the straw out of the hutch :roll: :lol:)

I tried to make that make sense, but I've read it through to check it so many times it just looks like gibberish now........... I hope it's not and that it makes sense!

Wheat straw is the horrid stiff stuff, barley straw is the nice soft stuff. I can't find barley straw so use dust extracted chopped straw by easy pack.

I use it in winter because its thicker, and because if i use hay, they pee in it :roll: They do sometimes have a munch on it, vet said it wont do them any harm :)

I use easypack straw, I was using pure pastures, but the last bag was manky in the middle so now use easy pack, which I get from a local horse feed supplier place, along with easypack meadow hay (for the litter trays)

Last edited:
I use straw!
I get in bales like the hay. I find it warmer than hay as each stem is hollow so traps the air. (if you can't find me on the farm I WILL be cuddling the cats in the straw stack:oops:)
The farm cats will always choose to lie in the straw rather than the hay, and they know the warmest spots;) :lol:
Mine do eat the straw, but I really don't mind. They still eat their hay, and it's only extra roughage:thumb:

mine have Norfolk Pastures straw AND hay, one in each bedroom, and the straw does seem the preferred option. they are always nomming on it as well!! :)

Has anybody been watching 'Wartime farm' on BBC 2? Last week they made a straw house because of housing shortages and it looked really cosy. A couple of weeks ago they finished cooking the stew by putting it in a box of straw so think straw must be a really good insulator.

I use straw, and yes my Bella does eat it, the second she runs out of decent bits of hay she is onto the straw! I get bales though.

During the winter yes :wave: helps keep extra warmth in if they want to snuggle up. I buy the stuff from down the road and it is quite soft which is good
It's a very good insulator because of all the dead air it traps, being hollow and everything makes it really good.

I have found Rosie nibbling on it a little too

I use straw in the winter and for my guineapigs too, they all eat the hay then have bare beds by the morning so I started using hay for eating and straw for beds, its really soft straw too.

Back