• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Harry has been to the vets

Radhika

Young Bun
His eyes started weeping yesterday evening. He was due for vaccinations and a check up tomorrow but I was really worried about him so I moved it forward to today.

The vet who has rabbits of her own and a special interest in them wasn't there, but the one I saw seemed pretty knowledgeable based on what I've read. She had a good look at his eyes, then his nose, his ears and his teeth. She also listened to his heartbeat, lungs and stomach. The good news is that there were a lot of gut noises, his incisor bite is very straight and she could see no molar spurs, although he was biting on the instrument so she couldn't see all of them.

Because the vet couldn't find any nasal discharge she recommended starting with eye drops for conjunctivitis, then coming back in a week if it hadn't cleared up and starting Baytril. But because he has been sneezing, and he has been cleaning his nose, she also gave me the option of doing both at once. I took the latter option, and she gave me some Bio-Lapis powder to help the gut flora while he's on antibiotics.

When I got home I made a mash of pellets and parsley and added the Baytril and powder. I have syringes to pump the Baytril directly into his mouth, but this seems like a less stressful option - any reason I shouldn't do it? He's still munching but assuming he eats the whole mash, the antibiotic will still be swallowed right?

I'm not looking forward to giving him the eye drops, I hope he doesn't hate me for it :(

:wave: Sorry I can't offer any advice on his condition but I can offer some help with administrating the medicine. I'm currently giving my bun Baytril but do not syringe it into her mouth as she gets so stressed. I dribble bits onto a slice of apple, let it soak in and she gobbles it right up, I also dribble small amounts onto individual pellets and hand fed each one as apples are high in sugar so I don't really want her having that everyday. Does your bun like Banana? If so, you could mash the Banana and baytril together and let Harry each it off a plate or something.

I'm sure he will like the mashed pellets and as long as the medicine is getting into him somehow then I don't think it matters what method you use. Good Luck :D

Sending lots of vibes to Harry, hope he has a speedy recovery.

Hope Harry makes a speedy recovery. :wave:

My friend's rabbit had to have eyedrops for suspected conjunctivitis. He did go in the huff, but once the course was finished he became his usual affectionate self again. :love:

I mix baytril with pellets whenever I have to give it. Buckley doesn't do syringes!

As for eye drops; they hate you for about 10 minutes until they realize you have a treat for them. Then they love you again ;)

Back