• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New hutch

katie2000

Alpha Buck
I've just bought the buns a 3ft by 2ft second hand hutch - 1. To stop someone else buying it and 2. I thought it would make a nice cosy den for the buns in the winter.

My first plan is to give it a good scrub with bleach and then remove the wire door so they can wander in and out as they please. Any ideas how I can insulate it so it's nice and cosy for winter? In particular the 'bed area' which I would love to be lovely and snug for them. The hutch will be inside so materials don't need to be weather proof.

Just to repeat, this will NOT be their permanent home - they already have an 8ft by 8ft outhouse and this is simply a be addition.

Any ideas much appreciated!

xxx

You could use bubble wrap then get some thin wood to cover it, or line the floor with lino and just fill it with hay to burrow in :)

I would keep the wire door, but cut a hole in it and add a short tunnel entrance, then stuff the whole hutch full of lovely hay - makes a nice cosy burrow :) you could also hinge the roof for ease of cleaning if it doesn't open already.

I bought a large roll of insulated bubble wrap in B&Q for £11.00 and its really quite thick. I have put that underneath my hutch cover and its a lovely snug fit.

Fee x

Back