• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

GI/Tummy issues EVERY few weeks -- PLEASE HELP (depserate)

ancoal

New Kit
I have a dwarf/dwarf mix named Stella. I adopted her from a rescue about 3 months ago (they believe she is 1-2 years old, but did not know for sure her age). The first month she lived with me she was great -- she lives inside with me, she gets unlimited amounts of Timothy hay, 1/8-1/4 cup pellets per day, and 1 cup of dark leafy greens every 1-2 days. I give her a super small piece of apple maybe once or twice per week as a treat.

About a month after I got her home I noticed one morning that she seemed a bit lethargic and had not eaten very much hay or pooped very much, I cleaned out her litter box and panicked when I realized at the end of the day that she had not pooped AT ALL and had not eaten anything. I took her to the vet and they gave her medication to get her stomach moving. The medication was 3 X per day for 7 days. This helped, but about 1.5 weeks after I finished the medication it happened again. I brought her the vet, they gave me the same medication plus antibiotics just in case and this helped again. Now, its 1.5 weeks since I finished this last round of medication and it seems to be happening again.

I CAN'T afford to bring her to the vet every 3 weeks (cost wise, time wise, or sanity-wise -- I feel totally sick over the fact that she keeps getting sick, like I am doing something terribly wrong).

Does anyone know of ways to PREVENT this from happening and a way to fix it when it does without having to bring her to the vet every single time. The vet said some bunny owners are just at the vet every few months with this issue, which I think is ridiculous -- it can't be good for the rabbits to just wait until it happens if it keeps reoccurring. This is my first time owning a rabbit and I am desperate for help. Please -- any advice is appreciated.

what medication was she on? has she had her teeth checked as sometimes this can make it painful for them to eat therrfore slowing the gut

what medication was she on? has she had her teeth checked as sometimes this can make it painful for them to eat therrfore slowing the gut

I cannot remember the medication, but will check with the vet as soon as he calls me back (already put a call into him as well this morning about all of this)

And yes, her teeth have been checked and seem to be fine. . .

obviously im not a vet but sometimes teeth can be ok on the surface but have root problems in which case an x ray is usually performed. i havent had alot of experience with stasis but there are people on here who have so im sure they'll be along soon good luck!:wave:

Do you know how long she was at the rescue and if they had any problems with her health? It's the first place I'd enquire for try to work out if this was a new problem or if she's had it a while.

There could be all sorts of reasons why it's happening diet is only one small part of that - the diet you've listed sounds fine.

If she stops eating it could be a digestive problem but it could be a response to pain (as suggested by Lucy24), it will help if you vet is experienced with rabbits as they will be more likely to pick up on the reasons for this happening. It is certainly true that some rabbits are prone to this (I have 3 that keep taking it in turns to stop eating!). If it happens again, especially so soon after previous episodes it would be a good idea for the vet to do further investigations.

Not eating because of pain can be 'just' a digestive upset or could also be from teeth, urinary tract, even ear infection, spine pain, anything. I hope you manage to find the answer/a cure soon as I know how exhausting it can be just waiting for the next episode but hoping it doesn't happen.

Do you know how long she was at the rescue and if they had any problems with her health? It's the first place I'd enquire for try to work out if this was a new problem or if she's had it a while.

There could be all sorts of reasons why it's happening diet is only one small part of that - the diet you've listed sounds fine.

If she stops eating it could be a digestive problem but it could be a response to pain (as suggested by Lucy24), it will help if you vet is experienced with rabbits as they will be more likely to pick up on the reasons for this happening. It is certainly true that some rabbits are prone to this (I have 3 that keep taking it in turns to stop eating!). If it happens again, especially so soon after previous episodes it would be a good idea for the vet to do further investigations.

Not eating because of pain can be 'just' a digestive upset or could also be from teeth, urinary tract, even ear infection, spine pain, anything. I hope you manage to find the answer/a cure soon as I know how exhausting it can be just waiting for the next episode but hoping it doesn't happen.

The rescue only had her for three days and did not list any issues with her......

Yes, she was spayed right before I adopted her, about three months ago....

Then I would suggest that post surgical adhesions *might* be an issue. Can you contact the Rescue and ask them to find out what internal suture material was used. Certain types are less appropriate as they increase the risk of adhesions forming. I would try to obtain a print out of her records from the Vet who spayed her. There may be some details about if there were any complications/unusual findings etc. The Vet may not agree to you having the records but they should release them to the Vet now treating your Rabbit.

I had this problem with two bunnies I had, who both went into regular stasis after being spayed. As others have said, it might be a digestive issue, or it might be a response to pain in the body, caused by something else, eg. teeth issues etc - there are lots of possibilities.

I changed vets at the point where I was sick of hearing 'some rabbits are just like this', and my new vet told me he suspected E Cuniculi infection, despite the rabbits not having the obvious signs of it. They were treated with Panacur paste, and it did help, but they were left with permanent issues. So E Cuniculi is something to consider.

Also, diet-wise, I would personally feed the same every day, not giving veg and fruit as a one off, but very small amounts daily, or even none at all (and never any fruit), until you can figure out if it makes a difference. Some rabbits really can't tolerate pellets, which are very rich. In the end with my rabbits, they were eating hay only, plus dried herbs, as they couldn't tolerate pellets, or any fresh food whatsoever.

Sorry this is brief. I hope it helps a bit.

Sounds to me that there is an underlying issue. Is she stressed at all?

My bun went into stasis repeatedly, about 4 times in a few months. This was to do with him having dental issues as well as having to deal with losing his wifebun. He had a dental and was very poorly afterwards, he recovered but was still quiet and clearly unhappy. I got another doe for him and since they have been bonded he has not had any more stasis episodes, it just shows how poorly an unhappy bunny can get.

Sending Stella lots of get well vibes.

Harley ou dwarf lop went through something similar, though he went into stasis about 4 times in 9 months, on the last occassion we had him put under GA for a full body X ray, had bloods taken and they did file his teeth down as he has some small spurs. All of the tests came back negative, however, on getting him home we bought him a much larger indoor pen and allowed him free rein of the spare room. In the last few months we have also bonded him with one of our females and he's been fine (touch wood).

His diet consists of 40g of excel pellets, unlimited meadow hay and once a week he gets a small piece of brocolli. We also put a probiotic in his water. Our vet does allow us to have a bottle of metacam and gut motility drug at home for us to administer if one of the 6 bunnies give us cause for concern but this is no way always appropriate or a substitute for an examination by a vet.

If it is a recurring issue, then further investigations do need to made I'm afraid - they may turn up nothing like us with Harley but it is worth the piece of mind and then maybe you can look at changing the Stella's lifestyle in terms of space and getting her a friend. I hope that helps!

What pellet is she on? beau used to have recurrent stasis, touchwood he has been much better since we cut out kale and switched from excel to science selective

Hi everyone -- thank you so much for your advice, it is super helpful.

I believe I have here on these pellets http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3703298&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No
although I am not 100% because I am currently at work and will have to go home and check the bag.

I also realized after everyone is talking about food that while I am careful to use Timothy hay and pellets with no seeds, etc... I do switch brands of hay and pellets based on what is on sale.... is this something you would all advise against? Any if so, does anyone have recommendations for if certain brands of Timothy hay are better than others. I guess I assumed that Timothy Hay was Timothy Hay no matter what. But I am certainly willing to buy whatever will work best for Stella's system.

Thank you again, and please keep the advice coming. I am a first time rabbit owner so I REALLY appreciate the help.

Also, as far as her space goes, she is allowed out of her cage anytime I am home, but I am graduate student and live in a house with 7 others so I am afraid to let her roam my room free lest someone open the door and she goes out (also I don't always know the people my roommates are bringing around). Also, my room is small and thus its difficult to rabbit proof it. But...if anyone has any suggestions I am certainly open to them.

Changing hay shouldn't really do any harm but switching pellets might. Keep to the same pellets always and introduce all new foods slowly.

Could she be stressed from having so many strangers about maybe?

Back