• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Weather proofing problem

emmiiee

Warren Veteran
wanting to put the rabbits in the kennel soon as the weather is changing fast! but I have no ideas of how to cover the mesh window with tarp! i thought about gettin velcrow and attaching tarp tht way! but I can only attach it on 3 sides :/

any ideas, prefrably ones tht don't envolve alot of work!

408750_4694496799022_1485165362_n.jpg

The mesh bit is there permanently isn't it? So it won't open like a door? :oops:

Could you cable tie it on? Or get perspex and cable tie that on?

The mesh bit is there permanently isn't it? So it won't open like a door? :oops:

Could you cable tie it on? Or get perspex and cable tie that on?

i put the thinking cap on and tried afew things but this looks the best im gona get, just need to find something to cover the bottom bit and then but 2 dustbin which I use for storage in front to stop it blowin up

548699_4753802961639_2071020631_n.jpg

I think that will just let the cold in to be honest, first wind and I think they would really feel it :?

Could you put a frame around the mesh, and attach a door? Then it could be closed at night and open during the day for them to get light and air.

I use a clear shower curtain with a strip of wood screwed on top all along the top and curtain wire through the bottom so it can be rolled up in the daytime :)

I have Perspex on mine with butterfly clips to hold it in place

b77c5ace.jpg

Keeps lovely n warm inside :wave:

Why do you want to cover the mesh? Surely they have enclosed kennel bits where they can go if it's wet and windy? Mine love to sit outside in the open bit - even when it's minus 10 degrees or throwing it down with rain. The ONLY time I cover the mesh is on bonfire night.

Why do you want to cover the mesh? Surely they have enclosed kennel bits where they can go if it's wet and windy? Mine love to sit outside in the open bit - even when it's minus 10 degrees or throwing it down with rain. The ONLY time I cover the mesh is on bonfire night.

because the rain will go in and soak the inside! and they have gone from inside to out, so want to keep them warm!

I think that will just let the cold in to be honest, first wind and I think they would really feel it :?

Could you put a frame around the mesh, and attach a door? Then it could be closed at night and open during the day for them to get light and air.

i dout it, i wouldnt know how to do that! and its more doors, and theres enough of them lol x

The 'run' part won't get soaked. Even if there's a terrific downpour and it's windy, the open run part will stay mostly dry. There will be an area around 6 inches from the mesh that will get wet but the rest should be fine. But I understand if you want to cover it. Can't offer any solutions I'm afraid as my kennel is open at the run end.

I had to put a clear tarpaulin across the front of my kennel because, if the rain is heavy, it soaks the whole inside of the run.

The clear tarps are quite expensive but you can get clear shower curtains from Tesco for a couple of pounds - they won't be as long lasting and aren't quite as see through but will let the light in at least. That's what I use across the mesh kennel door.

Tarps come with those eyelet holes so I just screwed cup hooks into the kennel (along the top and down the sides) to line up with those holes & I did a similar thing with the shower curtain. Then both are weighed down along the bottom with whatever I can find. :lol::lol:

I had to put a clear tarpaulin across the front of my kennel because, if the rain is heavy, it soaks the whole inside of the run.

The clear tarps are quite expensive but you can get clear shower curtains from Tesco for a couple of pounds - they won't be as long lasting and aren't quite as see through but will let the light in at least. That's what I use across the mesh kennel door.

Tarps come with those eyelet holes so I just screwed cup hooks into the kennel (along the top and down the sides) to line up with those holes & I did a similar thing with the shower curtain. Then both are weighed down along the bottom with whatever I can find. :lol::lol:

yhh i might look into clear tarp, as there in the dark atm, which is okay now cos its dark anyway but during the day it won't be good! might also look into the perpex idea!

We just use plastic dust sheets, which are very cheap, but do tear quite easily unless they are kept double layered (they come folded in half)

Making a door to go over would be quite simple if you didn't use hinges or anything, but just lifted it off and on. This is the cover we made for our bunnies, you could use this type of idea to make a door..? All we did was nail four pieces of wood together, then stapled down the dust sheet to the underside :thumb: It does look quite tacky now though, as my rabbits tend to dig around our (soil) garden then jump on it while free ranging though :evil:

CageCover1.jpg
CageCover2.jpg

While I'm at it... ;)
Cage1.jpg
Cage3.jpg
Cage2.jpg

Last edited:
Back