• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grumpiness in the morning?

Michelleox

Mama Doe
Just wondering if anyone elses bun does this and why they do it.

I shut my two up onto one level at night and in the morning when I go to open the hatch, Ollie will wait patiently for it to open but Amber will come tearing out of the night part (at the opposite end) at the speed of light to growl and try to nip Ollie on the bum. She moves so fast she skids on the straw! She does this EVERY morning :? As soon as they are down the ramp, and at all other times, they are fine, snuggling and grooming eachother. There’s only hay downstairs so it’s not as though there’s veg or pellets or anything for when they get down there.

It’s not really done in a nasty way but it always has puzzled me what this could mean in bunny speak. Any ideas?
:lol:

My Ches is a grumpy wee beggar in the morning. He'll grunt and lunge at me when I put my hand into get out his food bowl/put it back in and heaven forbid if I step into his run before he's eaten to sort litter tray / replenish hay - he'll leap at my legs and headbut me furiously. As SOON as he has eaten - and I mean after about two mouthfulls - he is back to being his usual self and trots over for a nose rub like nothing has happened. He's a wee Jekyll and Hyde :lol:

Our other bun isn't grumpy at all and will pull out every cute trick in the book to get her brekkie :)

Think it's just a wee personality trait that differs from bun to bun. xxxx

Jasper does this to Jessica whenever i come in with their food bowl. Basically when they are both excited so very similar to yours. I think he is just asserting his dominance. He will nip her (lightly) and she will back off then he will get to the food bowl first and she is then welcome to join him. I think its a similar thing... a "me first" thing. Pretty normal i think.

Xena is awful on a morning. They live in my bedroom and when I get up on a morning she will run out from under the bed and attack Fiver and bite my legs. I have to be careful before putting swinging my legs out of bed...she draws blood most of the time. She is a very dominant bunny so I think she just gets so excited that she nips, lunges and bites anything that moves lol. Poor Fiver gets the brunt of t, she nips him, runs full pelt into him and often bowls him over. As soon as they have their pellets she is back to being a happy, well behaved bunny.
She was very skinny when she was found (dumped with 15 piggies and 2 other buns at a tip :cry:) and she has poor sight from having untreated conjunctivitis for a long time so I think this is a big part for her aggressiveness at feeding time. She does the same thing when I feed them last thing at night.

Aww poor Xena, glad she has a lovely home now.

They are funny little things aren't they? I'm still not overly sure who is the top bun out of my two. Amber winds Ollie up. He'll only take so much and puts her in her place and then she will sulk!

My Casta's like this! Nancy gets bullied something rotton first thing in the morning. Casta goes crazy, shaking the hutch door, digging up all the bedding, chasing nancy (even though they get a food bowl each!). She'll even push me out of the way and climb straight into the bag of food as if to say "the service here is too slow!" But minutes later she's my docile lovely again. I guess some rabbits aren't morning creatures! :lol:

Back