• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Weatherproofing with Correx?

LittleEskimo

Mama Doe
Well I am getting a run soon so that the buns can play in it 24/7 rain or shine. I have been thinking of ways to weatherproof it from wooden panels, acrylic sheets, plain old tarp etc. But I woke up this morning with a light bulb over my head. I have loads of spare correx that I used to make the guinea pigs C&C cage. It's waterproof, it's going to help save me money and will help keep the wind out better then a bit of tarp.

But how would I go about attaching it. It is only about 3mm thick or so. I want to make it so each section of the run has it's own panel. For the best amount of wind and rain proofing and to make the roof easy to open as it folds over itself 3 times from left to right, so can't have one huge sheet across it.

I was thinking of making holes in each corner of the correx 'panel' and using cable ties to attach it to the mesh of the run. That way it keeps nice and secure and cable ties are cheap so if I ever need to replace them it is simple.

Good idea?? :)

This is the stuff I am on about. It is thin and lightweight but because it is plastic it is completely waterproof. The plus about it being quite thin is you can poke holes in it with a knife to hang up stuff from water bottles to hay racks :D

DSC00560.jpg

I'd use a power drill to drill pilot holes through it (use a fine bit) and screw it down - it will stay secure in the wind and is easily removed in Spring.

I use the 2mm plastic roofing sheets on the sides of my kennels, and that drills and fixes in place securely.

I used this to weatherproof my runs last weekend and the first Sign of a frost and it started to split and crack...iv got to replace it all with something else now :(

Oh :? hmm

Maybe any water that gets trapped in the gaps inbetween the plastic gets frozen and then cracks and splits it??
Trying to seal the ends might fix it.

I did wonder if the wind would make it split, because it's so thin. I've had tarpaulins rip from the wind getting underneath them.

I think the wind might make it bend along the lines depending how much slack it has. If it is flat and doesn't have any slack to shift in the wind it should be ok. Maybe a cable tie to hold it down in the middle of each panel

Mine was screwed down and flat as we could get it...i did double layer too... i think im going to just make wooden shutters. If it split from a frost then i hate to think what would happen when covered in snow!!

Eta we screwed right round the frame so it was secure..

Hmm :?

I will do a trial run on the hutch doors to see how they hold up. If they don't work out I think I will probably have to use wooden panels. Hopefully it will work so I can save money!

I tried it too and had the same problem with it splitting - that was just in the sun and rain, not even freezing temperatures. I think it's just not designed for outdoor use unfortunately.

urgh! And there I thought I had a brilliant idea...Well, I will try it. I really do have tonnes and i've not got much else use for it. But I will probably get some wooden shutters in the long run

Back