• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Open wound...

You may have seen my post about ShyBoy who went to the vets today with what I thought was an abscess I'd not noticed. Turns out theres something going on with his front right leg and my vet suspects he has a tumour in the bone, but cant be certain without xray, but she doesn't want to sedate him even slightly. He also has quite a large patch (about 50p) of infected tissue, the skin and fur just peeled away leaving this red raw patch. It was a little bit of this I'd found while grooming him this evening, which I thought was an abscess scab. He's on baytril and metacam and the vet said the best thing for the wound was to leave it open. Now I'm worrying thats not the best thing for it. What if he gets bedding, or dirt, or fur stuck to it?

One other question... We got 3 chickens about a month ago, they haven't been free in the garden yet (and will alternate with the rabbits when I do let them out) But since Dino's sudden death shortly after their arrival, and now this, is there any possibility that theres some kind of bacteria/virus/anything getting from the chickens to bunnies? The rabbits have run past the chicken run but not come into contact, and the cleaning equipment is seperate??

I have rabbits chickens and turkeys and have never had a problem with the birds giving the rabbits any disease, but it could be possible that the chickens are passing a disease. Do you have the rabbit cages next to the chicken pins?

An open wound in a rabbit needs some careful maintenance.

Ideally the fur surrounding the wound should be shaved away so that it doesn't stick in the wound and affect the healing process, and it should ideally be kept covered in a sterile gel like hydrogel (aquagel), although bun may need a collar to ensure they don't keep grooming, and keeping the wound open.

Has the vet given bun some pain relief?

He is on metacam and baytril. I've spoken to my vet this morning and she thinks I'm clutching at straws. She's certain that we are doing the best for him. Just have to trust her I suppose.

Back