• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bella is Poorly ( U/D Bella has heart disease ... :(

Jackaroonie

Mama Doe
Hi Everyone,

My Bella is Poorly as some of you may know she is a dental bunny and also has old injuries and has arthritis in her spine, she's been on metacam since near the end of July when she went in for a dental and they x-rayed her and found out about her spine... also her teeth and roots are bad so that's why she is on metacam, anyway recently she is excessively drinking and weeing and i have been finding wee's on the fleeces and mats, she is a very clean bun and normally would only go in the litter tray, I have put in extra ones now so she can get to them but sometimes she obviously after she has drunk some water from the bowl she just wee's which she did earlier. so i am really worried as it is not like her as she always went in her tray without fail, she drinks literally so much. wondering maybe if it is an infection, diabetes or maybe something more serious like kidney or liver failure :(

Anyway we can take her to the vets tomorrow evening.. hoping my vet is available for an appointment... vibes please.. she's fine otherwise... eating normally.. has a good appetite

Last edited:
My bridge bun, Ellie did this exact same thing. She was drinking so much that she would just not be able to hold it and would pee anywhere. It was always very diluted pee too. She had suspected kidney problems but also she was a dental bun, unfortunately I never had chance to get bloods done as she started to recover so was likely nothing would show up in her bloods. I would suggest getting this done anyway just in case it's E.C or something similar.
the last time she was peeing more than usual she had a UTI, baytril did nothing to help but Septrin cleared it up straight away :)

What's her weight like?

I hope it's a UTI or something at least that would be treatable. Bella is a special bunny, give her a nose rub from me. xx

My bridge bun, Ellie did this exact same thing. She was drinking so much that she would just not be able to hold it and would pee anywhere. It was always very diluted pee too. She had suspected kidney problems but also she was a dental bun, unfortunately I never had chance to get bloods done as she started to recover so was likely nothing would show up in her bloods. I would suggest getting this done anyway just in case it's E.C or something similar.
the last time she was peeing more than usual she had a UTI, baytril did nothing to help but Septrin cleared it up straight away :)

What's her weight like?

I hope it's a UTI or something at least that would be treatable. Bella is a special bunny, give her a nose rub from me. xx

Oh no :( well at the moment she does feel bony , she was last weighed in August when she had her combined vaccine so we got record, will get her weighed when we go , ,thank you she loves nose rubs xx

Thanks everyone for your lovely comments and vibes, will keep you all updated :)

Update

Bella has been admitted , sadly i was not able to go to the vets as i am a bit poorly myself but my parents went, Vet said Bella was really skinny and she has a heart murmur there is something affecting her kidney functioning so she's been admitted along with Pickle who she's bonded with.. she'd having tests, x-rays and things tomorrow and of course having her teeth checked as she is a dental bunny too. Vibes needed, me and Bella have such a strong bond I could not imagine life without her :cry: I really hope she will be ok... she is a fighter..

Last edited:
I hope the Vet can help her to feel better xx

thank you Jane i'm so worried for her, have you had any buns with heart murmurs? our vet could hear Bella has one but not sure what's causing her excessive weeing and drinking could be her kidneys so tests tomorrow, just hoping she can pull through, she's such a fighter xx

thank you Jane i'm so worried for her, have you had any buns with heart murmurs? our vet could hear Bella has one but not sure what's causing her excessive weeing and drinking could be her kidneys so tests tomorrow, just hoping she can pull through, she's such a fighter xx

Yes, I have

Vet just phoned Bella is coming round from the anaesthetic , the xray showed her heart is enlarged , she also had a hook on her teeth which has been removed , blood results back tomorrow , we can bring them home later :) will hopefully find our more when we get to see the vet , love my girl very much xx

What could an enlarged heart be ?

Vet just phoned Bella is coming round from the anaesthetic , the xray showed her heart is enlarged , she also had a hook on her teeth which has been removed , blood results back tomorrow , we can bring them home later :) will hopefully find our more when we get to see the vet , love my girl very much xx

What could an enlarged heart be
?

Usually fluid around the heart. It's not working as well as it should but it can hopefully be helped with medication (usually diuretics to take the fluid away), other meds too probably not not sure what they are/do.

Sending vibes for your special girl, hope her condition can be managed well.

Back