• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Runny eyes?

Radhika

Young Bun
I noticed today bunny has damp fur on his cheeks, where tears would fall if he cried. I can't see any discharge or wetness coming from the eyes, I just noticed the damp fur. He is eating/acting normal and isn't scratching/rubbing his eyes.

Is it normal for bunnies to have these tear tracks or does it signal something wrong? Looking at my pictures, he didn't have these damp patches yesterday. He is booked in for a vet check up on Wednesday, do I need to try and move it forward to tomorrow?

Wednesday is fine, but do get the vet to have a look. My Barney had this, and it was first thought to be an eye infection, but it became increasingly clear that it was in fact the first signs of him developing the illness 'snuffles'. Slightly running eyes is now, sadly, the norm for him, but when his snuffles flares up they usually get worse and he gets the streaks down his cheeks.

This is a picture from that first time, it was only a little then:
SAM_0610.jpg

Thanks nessar. That is what Harry's look like, perhaps even a little worse. It started in one eye, I noticed it about 6pm, and then when we had cuddles a few hours later the other eye was the same. He has been sneezing sometimes. I will mention all this to the vet.

Speaking of which, I haven't been to this vet before and I don't know how knowledgeable he/she will be about bunnies. From what I've been reading, a good bunny vet would prescribe antibiotics in case of bacterial infection, and if that wasn't successful they would look at tear duct flushing and perhaps skull x-rays?

I've just had a thought. My friend was here earlier and she burned some incense in the living room, where Harry was sitting. He didn't leave the room (he has access to two others) so I didn't think it was bothering him, but perhaps that could have irritated his eyes? They started weeping an hour or two after that. I'm really hoping I'll wake up tomorrow and his eyes will be clear, or I know I will spend the whole day worrying about him :(

Ah, yes sneezing is almost always a sign of illness. Once could be that he got some dust up his nose, but more than that usually indicates a problem.

I'm afraid its not safe to burn incense, have scented candles, use air freshener, spray deodorant, smoke or other similar things around a rabbit. Don't feel bad though, you werent to know, I did some of these myself many times before I knew, and I think it may have contributed to triggering Barney's snuffles.

Some background info on snuffles: Most rabbits carry the main bacteria that causes snuffles, and it lies dormant until the rabbit's immune system is stressed or weakened and then it sort of gets 'triggered' and becomes active. Sometimes a course of antibiotics sorts it out, and the immune system gains control over it again. But sometimes it doesnt, and there are usually periods where the bunny seems a bit better, or even completely better, but then it flares up and bunny gets symptoms, you fight it with antibiotics and other meds and it calms down again, only to start the cycle again. It is a frustrating illness to deal with, as it is actually incurable, you can never completely get rid of the bacteria, but that doesnt mean that your rabbit will always be ill, or that he will not have a good life. A lot of people panic when their rabbit gets snuffles, (I myself found it difficult to come to terms with the fact that there is no cure), if it is snuffles then try not to panic, a snufflebun can still live a happy and long life, and many people find that it flares up infrequently.

I remember you have insurance, that is good, I hope you are out of the 14 day exclusion period?

Yes, they should offer antibiotics - probably baytril as its the only one actually licensed for rabbits. You may also be offered bisolvon - which thins the mucus and makes more of it, which helps flush the bacteria out and helps to stop them getting bunged up. I love this medicine, I find it really helps.

They may also ask if you want a test done (culture and sensitivity test) on the bacteria in his nose - they'll stick a big cotton bud up his nose and send it away to grow the bacteria. By knowing the exact bacteria, it is easier to choose an antibiotic that works best against that bacteria, you see. But sometimes nothing grows and we are none the wiser and a little poorer! It isnt essential, and more use if the infection is ongoing, but bear in mind once they are on antibiotics, they have to come off for a time before they can have the test. Most vets dont offer it the first time the infection presents itself.

I would also get the vet to look in his mouth, especially at the back teeth, with an otoscope. Dental problems and snuffles are often linked, as are running eyes and dental problems. The pain from dental issues can cause the runny eyes, and so can the tooth roots overgrowing and pressing on the tear ducts, which is what the xray you mentioned would be to check for.

Of course , it may just be irritation from the incense, so keep an eye on it, and actually touch the wet areas, as when they dry they can still look wet. If they dry, it could just have been eyes running, no infection.

I am insured, but only since last Friday so I have a way to go yet. Never mind - if bunny needs treatment he will get it. I wiped the patches gently with a cotton pad and they came away dry, so fingers crossed he has recovered overnight. If the running has stopped, will his fur return to normal by itself? The sneezing has been very infrequent so I really hope it's just hay dust and not a sign of snuffles :(

Thank you for taking the time to write such an informative answer :)

Right, well if he does have a problem, it may well be excluded from your policy (along with any linked illnesses).

That's alright, I thought I'd give you some info on it as a good vet will mention at least the basics of it to you, although most wont go into detail on the first appointment for it. When checking out a vet I always go with some knowledge (usually from here) and some idea of the questions that they will ask me, but then keep quiet and see if they ask me those questions and know what might be wrong without my suggesting the various illnesses that it could be. If a vet doesnt seem to know how to interpret simple symptoms, or doesnt seem bothered in my pet's home-life or medical history (for instance if the problem is tooth spurs the vet should ask about their diet and tell you about the correct diet) then I change vets to one that does.

I'd touch them with your fingers, as then you'll be able to tell whether its even a little damp. If they are dry, the fur usually goes a bit stiff for my Barney. Stroking/rubbing gently can help, but only bathing it gets rid of it all usually. If your rabbit has a companion they may groom them to get rid of it, but Barney's companion doesnt groom him. It you want to bathe them, use damp cotton wool, dampened with cooled boiled water, or cooled black tea. I usually then use a dry cotton wool pad to get off most moisture.

Keep a good eye on them, and make a mental note of the colour and thickness of the discharge, or whether it is just tears.

Back