• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How long do I try?

nibblerandco

Young Bun
I took Nibby inside because I noticed he wasn't as active. I saw he started to get a bit skinny and was a little weak in the hind legs. Summer has been a little rough so I blamed it on that, but just within days he got a lot worse. He is generally wobbly, has a slight head tilt and now very weak hind legs. Because if this, he gets quite dirty naturally, I just washed him and a lot of dirt came off. Also he doesn't gain the weight back.

Quite naturally that feels quite horrid, I mean he must suffer not keeping clean, I can help there but then I get his behind wet. Don't think he feels cold since he is normally an outdoors bunny and now inside. But still I'm not sure how often I should wash him.

He most likely has E Cuniculi and is medicated for that, plus he takes a little Simeticone because his stomach is a little bubbly. I just informally contacted a vet I know, but can't really take him in or anything since the vet here doesn't know anything about rabbits. I know it sounds irresponsible on my behalf but I simply can't afford to take him to another city far away for treatment that probably won't help anyway. :(

But the vet said almost certainly this is this illness and looked it up and it totally makes sense. Also explains why the female gave birth to babies with granulomas, she is probably a healthy carrier. Feels bad, but this is the end of my rabbit era I think...

So he gets his meds and TLC, and I was told that is what I can do. I just don't know how long to try before he had enough. I don't want to torture him if there is no hope of recovery, on the other hand it's just his 5th day on meds or something.

I'm told most cases carry this from birth. I guess it is not impossible they did. They have actually not met so if they infected each other it was me carrying over spores to the other. That is said to be rare but I kind of wonder. Seems like no one really know exactly how infectious this is. Some say very, some say basically between mother and baby. Where I work there is a rabbit which has a head tilt probably from EC. My rabbits were fine before I started working there. Is it possible I carried the spores home??? My boss says that rabbit is fine and not a carrier but I don't know how she can be so sure. He is not tested or anything. I have work clothes and I clean up between work and home of course. But it would still be pretty easy getting the spores home.

I'm pretty confused about it all. Some people say as long as he eats and drinks I shouldn't put him down.. but he looks miserable and scrawny. I wish I could ask him what HE wants. Also he doesn't eat anything but his favorite foods so he totally disses most of the roughage. Which can't be good but also he has to eat something.

I feel all this is my fault and I should have noticed his poor health earlier and taken him inside earlier etc. Maybe he would have had a better chance of recovery if caught sooner. Since they are big outdoors bunnies I don't always take the time to actually pet and have a really close look all the time like you do if you have them indoors.

Ugh. I feel so guilty.

I took Nibby inside because I noticed he wasn't as active. I saw he started to get a bit skinny and was a little weak in the hind legs. Summer has been a little rough so I blamed it on that, but just within days he got a lot worse. He is generally wobbly, has a slight head tilt and now very weak hind legs. Because if this, he gets quite dirty naturally, I just washed him and a lot of dirt came off. Also he doesn't gain the weight back.

Quite naturally that feels quite horrid, I mean he must suffer not keeping clean, I can help there but then I get his behind wet. Don't think he feels cold since he is normally an outdoors bunny and now inside. But still I'm not sure how often I should wash him.

He most likely has E Cuniculi and is medicated for that, plus he takes a little Simeticone because his stomach is a little bubbly. I just informally contacted a vet I know, but can't really take him in or anything since the vet here doesn't know anything about rabbits. I know it sounds irresponsible on my behalf but I simply can't afford to take him to another city far away for treatment that probably won't help anyway. :(

But the vet said almost certainly this is this illness and looked it up and it totally makes sense. Also explains why the female gave birth to babies with granulomas, she is probably a healthy carrier. Feels bad, but this is the end of my rabbit era I think...

So he gets his meds and TLC, and I was told that is what I can do. I just don't know how long to try before he had enough. I don't want to torture him if there is no hope of recovery, on the other hand it's just his 5th day on meds or something.

I'm told most cases carry this from birth. I guess it is not impossible they did. They have actually not met so if they infected each other it was me carrying over spores to the other. That is said to be rare but I kind of wonder. Seems like no one really know exactly how infectious this is. Some say very, some say basically between mother and baby. Where I work there is a rabbit which has a head tilt probably from EC. My rabbits were fine before I started working there. Is it possible I carried the spores home??? My boss says that rabbit is fine and not a carrier but I don't know how she can be so sure. He is not tested or anything. I have work clothes and I clean up between work and home of course. But it would still be pretty easy getting the spores home.

I'm pretty confused about it all. Some people say as long as he eats and drinks I shouldn't put him down.. but he looks miserable and scrawny. I wish I could ask him what HE wants. Also he doesn't eat anything but his favorite foods so he totally disses most of the roughage. Which can't be good but also he has to eat something.

I feel all this is my fault and I should have noticed his poor health earlier and taken him inside earlier etc. Maybe he would have had a better chance of recovery if caught sooner. Since they are big outdoors bunnies I don't always take the time to actually pet and have a really close look all the time like you do if you have them indoors.

Ugh. I feel so guilty.

So what medication is your Rabbit receiving ?

If it is EC then aswell as Fenbendazole a non steroidal anti-inflammatory is needed.

Personally I would want him to be examined by a Vet as there may be additional treatment needed. You say you already feel guilty for not noticing his illness sooner, surely you will feel even more guilty if you dont take him to a Vet now ??

Don't feel guilty now, just focus on gettng your bun better. with the correct meds and care from you and a bun savvy vet, there's every chance he'll be ok.

Where abouts are you?

Sure I'd feel guilty but as the vet told me it is better for the rabbit to have a safe, calm surrounding than be dragged on a long train ride and so on. I'm outside UK in Northern Europe.

Don't get me wrong but is the NSAID needed to reduce inflammation, or is it used as a pain reliever?

I wish I had never gotten the rabbits. When I did, my finances were OK and health were OK, but now I have to go on long term sick leave without much pay... wish I could have looked into the future yanno... I even fixed a new home for the rabbits because of this, but this probably puts a stop to any rehoming (the other bun as well).

Sick and poor people shouldn't have animals but no one plans on getting sick and poor. For those who are in a situation where you have money, save up for your pets, you never know when you will need it.

I have to just face up to having to deal with the situation alone best I can. Right now I just want to crawl under the covers and never come out.

/end whine

BTW, I realize I will not come back to check for answers, dare not. Was stupid posting in the first place. I'm sorry for any trouble.

So maybe a moderator can lock or delete this thread or something?

A NSAID is required to reduce inflammation. If it is EC then the inflammation caused by erupting EC spores within various organs/cns is what causes the clinical symptoms and longterm cellular damage. NSAIDs would also address any pain or discomfort. A Rabbit in pain will be reluctant to eat and this will then lead to problems with the GI tract (Gut stasis)

Is there an animal welfare organisation you could contact who may be able to offer you help with the Rabbits ?

Back