• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

More room or more human interaction?

courtneydayle

Alpha Buck
Which do you think is more important? Dad said once the greenhouse is finished I could put Polka and Bandana out there if I wanted too. It would probably mean a bigger enclosure (not sure yet, since it's not done) but I wouldn't be able to talk to them and pet them while I'm in my room working on things. What do you guys suggest?

My thoughts would be more human interaction. I had oringally had my buns outside but I brought them in as being outside ment less time I could spend with them, Mine are free range tho.

There are pros and cons for both options. In my opinion, if animals are in bonded pairs (or groups) they have less need of human interraction. Therefore, space is more important. However, it's far easier to keep a close eye on their health when you are watching them in the comfort of your own home and you literally notice every little thing. Don't get me wrong, I always know immediately if something isn't right with my outdoor bunnies BUT during winter, I really only spend a maximum of half an hour with them per day from Monday to Friday. So in that scenario, I'd say human interraction was more important than space. Swings and roundabouts - you have to decide if you WANT to keep them in your room and then take it from there.

Can you do half and half? My buns go out in the day..free range in the garden and in the evening they come into the house when I get home from work and stay in the house at night. They tend to follow me around alot and try and get in the veg cupboard and if i'm cooking get around my feet so I do put them in the garden if they keep doing that though otherwise I never get anything done!

Sorry if I'm being silly but when you say greenhouse I am immediately a bit worried that it might get a little warm for them in there?

I think it depends on both you and the buns, if they love the attention they get then would they miss that outside? I think it also depends on how much more space they could have.

I want them inside with me. But if they need more room I don't want to deprive them of it. I let them run around my room when Im here (or when they get out... sneaky little Polka...). I was worried the greenhouse would be too warm as well. Went out there yesterday and it was stuffy and felt almost like the inside of a car on a warm day. It might be better once plants and water systems are put up, but I don't know. I like just watching them play and clean with each other too, I wouldn't be able to do that if they were outside. They also wouldn't be able to watch movies with me, which they seem to like. (It means I turn into a jungle gym for them.)

There are pros and cons for both options. In my opinion, if animals are in bonded pairs (or groups) they have less need of human interraction. Therefore, space is more important. However, it's far easier to keep a close eye on their health when you are watching them in the comfort of your own home and you literally notice every little thing. Don't get me wrong, I always know immediately if something isn't right with my outdoor bunnies BUT during winter, I really only spend a maximum of half an hour with them per day from Monday to Friday. So in that scenario, I'd say human interraction was more important than space. Swings and roundabouts - you have to decide if you WANT to keep them in your room and then take it from there.

This is basically what I was going to say. I have outdoor and indoor rabbits and the outdoor ones would hate being inside but the indoor are too friendly they would miss us x

Thanks guys. You've pretty much mirrored my concerns about the heat and not getting enough human time. They do have each other, but they seem to be sad when I get home from work until I give them loves.

Back