• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just got the quote for the incisor extraction

Alison Marie

Wise Old Thumper
£125, which is cheaper than what I was expecting. It's actually £36 for the procedure, but GA, dispensing fees and medicine (baytril, metacam, fibreplex!) bumps up the price.

Now we've got to decide which procedure to do first - neutering or incisor extraction? Vet has recommended not to do both at the same time as it could be too stressful... We could get the incisor extraction done and Buttons spayed, and maybe have Nibbles neutered after Christmas? Hmmm. *Decisions*

I've also got to book them both in for re-vaccination :shock: they're coming up to the 6 month mark for their single jabs so we have been advised to re-vaccinate with the new one. An expensive month for us :thumb:

My Herbie was neutered and his incisors taken out at the same time. I personally think that it is a better option rather than putting through another GA & procedure. AFAIK it really is common to carry out two procedures while under GA.

Also wouldn't be as expensive just getting one GA.

My Herbie was neutered and his incisors taken out at the same time. I personally think that it is a better option rather than putting through another GA & procedure. AFAIK it really is common to carry out two procedures while under GA.

Also wouldn't be as expensive just getting one GA.

Yeah, it's £45 for the anaesthetic :shock: I can kind of see what they mean - recovery time will be slower and it's more stressful. I did ask about it. There's also the problem that the anaesthetic may wear off during one procedure?! I'm probably going to have a chat to them about it, see if we can do the incisors first and if they have enough time, neuter him too. If not we can do it another day.

An important thing to check before it's done - if the incisors re-grow will they remove them again free of charge? It's quite common even with a good vet. :wave:

Ooh, thanks :thumb: Didn't think about that.

No probs.. it may even be worth asking about a further follow up too.....

Mole, my incisor rabbit had:

1) op to remove 4 incisors - 2 grew back
2) op to remove 2 incisors - one grew back
3) i chickened out of third op but it is an option

Hope this helps! :wave:

I had a 14 week old bun neutered and have his inscisors out at the same time. But I guess it's up to each individual vet.

Sorry its going to be a pricey month. I wondered if your buns have the combo vaccine yet? If they do, they should not need boosters every six months any more.

Sorry its going to be a pricey month. I wondered if your buns have the combo vaccine yet? If they do, they should not need boosters every six months any more.

Nope, they had the single jabs in May. The reason was they'd never been vaccinated before, so they recommended having the singles to start with. Obviously now our vet is only doing the combo ones so we will be doing that instead shortly :thumb:

No probs.. it may even be worth asking about a further follow up too.....

Mole, my incisor rabbit had:

1) op to remove 4 incisors - 2 grew back
2) op to remove 2 incisors - one grew back
3) i chickened out of third op but it is an option

Hope this helps! :wave:

I'd be worried about them growing back :shock: did they grow back in a similar 'state' to what they were before?

I'd be worried about them growing back :shock: did they grow back in a similar 'state' to what they were before?

Yes, sadly - identical state. My (rabbit savvy) vet also said that if you remove them a second time after they've grown back there isn't a higher chance of it being successful - odds are exactly the same as the first time.

Mae was speyed and had her toothies removed at the same time :wave: her teeth didnt grow back but I only had her about 1 year and a half when she passed away :wave:

Yes, sadly - identical state. My (rabbit savvy) vet also said that if you remove them a second time after they've grown back there isn't a higher chance of it being successful - odds are exactly the same as the first time.

Ah, rubbish! I'll have to have a chat with them then. I'd hate to keep bringing him in to have them burred, it's not very fair :(

Back