• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

WARNING - FURMINATOR users - U/D 19/10/2012

Jaysmonkey

Wise Old Thumper
I'd like to post a WARNING for any FURMINATOR users.

On Saturday I was grooming Gracie as normal, not hard and not with a lot of pressure. The furminator ripped off a 6cm by 5cm chunk of skin and fur. This was on the 'knee' of the hind leg. Gracie was immediately taken to the vets and had surgery. It turns out she has a minor skin infection, hence the skin tearing straight off. There were no signs but for the effects of the furminator. Gracie' wound has started to open up again, the stitching proved difficult as the skin disintegrated when stretched. She now has a body stocking and is going to the vets daily for a dressing change. She has to be confined to her 'base cage' for 14 days at least. She on metacam, baytril and zantac and is thankfully nomming and pooing, granted not as much as usual.

This is a warning to those that use furminators. Apparently rabbits have dormant skin infections, unfortunately for Gracie a routine groom turned into disaster :(.

My furminator is now in the bin.

Because of the position of the wound is has increased in size. :(

This was fur, skin and blood :(

483053_280981865347411_1998283705_n.jpg

You can just see where the wound is here, though it's covered.
190286_280983858680545_1223783649_n.jpg

IMG1248.jpg

Demanding headrubs with her new snugglesafe cover:(
IMG1249.jpg

I'm so sorry Gracie :cry:

Last edited:
:shock:
OMG! That just had me in shivers, the whole idea. I don't have one myself and I will make sure not to get one either! hope Gracie gets well soon

It was awful :( We got her to the vets at 4.30pm but she couldn't come home the same night due to GA and such.

I am absolutely gutted. She's an ex lab rabbit and already been through so much in her short life (she'll be 3 in November) and I'd never ever want to cause her hurt or trauma :cry:. Thankfully she's a strong bunny and hasn't let this come between her and her appetite.

Tonight we'll see if it's opened up again, if it has she either has to have surgery again or we have to treat it as an open wound :cry: xx

Bless her little paws, I'm sure she knows you didn't do it deliberately (Not that you would of course!)

She's gorgeous! :love: Wishing her a speedy recovery :love:

Oh gosh :( Hope she heals up nice and soon. Poor thing
Don't feel like you are to blame, you wont have known this would have happened from a brush of all things x

Thank you guys, I'll update on how the wound is this evening. She's an absolutely angel, she really doesn't deserve this :cry:

Before this I was happy with the furminator and used it with no issues for 2 years, I'm just so angry at myself and wish I hadn't groomed her :(

I will only every use a soft bristle baby brush and wet hands from now on. x

Oh goodness! What a terrible accident :(

I used to use one on blue when he was moulting...his fur was so thick he would get matts underneath the top layer of fur if you know what I mean and nothing else would get them out.

I won't be using one on Maurice though after this.

thank you for letting us know and I hope she recovers well.

I hope the wound starts to heal. Poor thing. I'll be putting my furminator in the bin. Could it be worth while contacting the company?

I hope the wound starts to heal. Poor thing. I'll be putting my furminator in the bin. Could it be worth while contacting the company?

I'm looking to do that, my mum has said she'll help me with contacting them (she's awesome at complaint letters).

I still can't believe this has happened, it wasn't a little bit of skin either, it was a clump :( :cry:

Thank you everyone.

I had to warn you, of course if it weren't for this incident I'd still be using one, but it's opened my eyes and I will not take the chance ever again xx

Wow, I never would have guessed that could happen :shock: sounds like it was traumatic for the both of you :(
I've never used a furminator before and don't think I'll be using one for buns now!

Instead of throwing them away i'd give them to dog/cat owners. Sorry I just hate wasting things :oops:

I'm so so sorry this happened Stef :cry: *Hugs* - this was NOT your fault, i know thats difficult to believe, but its the truth.

This is why i only use a damp hand to groom my bunnies and advocate that fact.

I'm sending all the vibes in the world for Gracie to heal up quickly.

Thank you everyone, I am devastated. I just don't want anyone else's bunnies to have this happen to them. :( xx

Aww poor Gracie :( Don't be too hard on yourself about it. I'd write a complaint to the manufacturer and tell them to explicitly state that they shouldn't be used on rabbits. :(

Please don't blame yourself Jays'monkey. They've been recommended across the board even by vets. See Gracie doesn't blame you! NOT YOUR FAULT.
Thank you for having the courage to post.

I sincerely hope Gracie makes a rapid & uneventful recovery.

Neither of mine would tolerate a furminator despite heavy moulting.
I very gently take out the clumps between the sides of my index & mid fingers, use a soft baby brush, & they get lots of stroking with damp hands.

Blimey that's awful, poor Gracie and poor you :shock: You really weren't to know though and it was an accident. I've been looking at these for the cats but will not be buying one now at all. I hope that you get some good news from the vets tonight:thumb:

Back