• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Indoor Hutch

a cute bunny :love:

i would remove the mesh floor and have a normal floor as the mesh isn't good for their feets and i have read about them breaking toes and snagging nails in them. can't be comfortable to walk on either. if you put a normal floor you could line it with lino which is easy to clean out and will be much better for bunny. :thumb:

There seems to be a couple of opposing views out there...mesh vs. no mesh: "Mesh" people thinking about the health hazards of standing, walking, laying, chewing, and licking their own waste....and "No Mesh" people concerned about toe and feet damage. From a builder standpoint, it would be cheaper to eliminate the lower level waste management system, replacing it with wood...however, the market for higher end rabbit hutches, chicken brooders, and small animal housing requires that the units are as maintenance free as possible. Additionally, I am often requested to install "pee shields" around the edges of the entire unit keeping the rabbits and small animals peeing on the walls. Some people put bedding material over the mesh. Our bunny actually scrapes the bedding away to lay directly on the mesh. To each their own and yes, I did build this unit.

There seems to be a couple of opposing views out there...mesh vs. no mesh: "Mesh" people thinking about the health hazards of standing, walking, laying, chewing, and licking their own waste....and "No Mesh" people concerned about toe and feet damage. From a builder standpoint, it would be cheaper to eliminate the lower level waste management system, replacing it with wood...however, the market for higher end rabbit hutches, chicken brooders, and small animal housing requires that the units are as maintenance free as possible. Additionally, I am often requested to install "pee shields" around the edges of the entire unit keeping the rabbits and small animals peeing on the walls. Some people put bedding material over the mesh. Our bunny actually scrapes the bedding away to lay directly on the mesh. To each their own and yes, I did build this unit.

They wouldnt be lying etc in their own waste if they are cleaned out often enough, and of course it also helps if they are litter trained :) In my opinion wire floors are to make things easier for the owners, not better for the animals.

As you make them, a version with non-slip lino on the floor and going partly up the sides would make it wipe clean, prevent wood from smelling, and stop the rabbit weeing directly on the wood walls. You could also reccommend that people neuter their rabbits, as spraying is usually a hormonal behaviour which can usually be solved by neutering.

Rabbits are not easy pets though. They require time and effort and patience and the notion that a hutch can make life 'easy' and reduce cleaning in the wrong attitude in my eyes. It should be about what is best for the rabbit and the best for the rabbit is a flooring that does not cause sore hocks or broken toes! And is comfortable for them to rest on and to run on. Rabbits need exercise and they wont run on a floor that hurts them. It is no coincidence to me that the rabbit in your example is laying on the only bit of solid flooring ;)

Rabbits are not dirty animals providing they are looked after. Mine are indoors and I sweep once a day and most days barely fill a dustpan with what I sweep up. Once they are neutered they are usually very good at going in a litter tray and not marking the walls. Rabbits in the wild will latrine in a designated area once they have established their territories, it's instinctual.

It's about good rabbit care and that is more than just the hutch. As the RWAF says 'A hutch is not enough'.

As mentioned previously, it's cheaper to build them with no trays, mesh, and such. A plywood floor would be much cheaper and less time consuming to build. Space and a place to rest away from the mesh are considerations too, both of which have been addressed in this hutch. I am also quite certain the owner of this rabbit has the best interest of the rabbit in mind, despite any differences of opinion. I know there are many people who feel rabbits belong outside in the wild where they can live free and be part of the food chain. Bottom line, this hutch is built beyond industry standards, meeting the needs of a wide range of small animals and birds. Options for wood floors, non-skid surfaces, wall guards, dividers, access doors, heating, and lighting are available. It is up to each owner to chose their preferences. Thank you for your comments.

It looks lovely :) Really neat and sturdy. It looks like a lot of skill has been used to make it. However the wire floor would be an issue for me as others have said. You have stated that there are options for a wooden floor so at least the owner can have a choice :) I actually think that a wire floor would make more work than a litter tray.
If you make one with a wooden floor, I am sure that we would all like to see that one too.

Back