• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why have my rabbits started eating my walls ...

bunnylover4

Warren Scout
I have had my bunnies for 5 years and they always have plenty of toys etc but recently two of them have taken to biting the walls around my patio doors and breaking bits of plaster off :shock:
Does anyone have any ideas why they would start this odd behaviour ? And how I can deter them from doing it .
It's only two of them that do it but that's not what's important , I am worried about the chemicals in the plaster that they could be ingesting :(

my bella sometimes likes to chew the outside of the hutch, when she has the whole garden to run round and grass to eat :roll: yes because they can! You can try spraying the area with white vienagr to deter them, i dont know how this would work on plaster but this is how a deter them from hutch chewing. I canonly find it in glass bottles but I transfer it to an old hutch cleaner spray bottle.

my bella sometimes likes to chew the outside of the hutch, when she has the whole garden to run round and grass to eat :roll: yes because they can! You can try spraying the area with white vienagr to deter them, i dont know how this would work on plaster but this is how a deter them from hutch chewing. I canonly find it in glass bottles but I transfer it to an old hutch cleaner spray bottle.

:roll::roll: Well i have to try something. We are in a rented house so dont think chunks out of walls will go down well with the landlord :shock:

We are currently trying the bitter apple spray. But i think they actually like it. Also bringing hay inside toilet tubes with bits inside to to try and stop them eatting the walls. Strange how its only the two of them. But the alternative is not let them in the house anymore, but thats not happening ;) so OH will have to replaster if we ever move. After all the bunnies are our babies so they come first :lol::lol::lol:

Doughnut is adamant on stripping my lining paper and getting down to the plaster.

I've put plastic corners up so she can't chew them now and I put them up with blu tack so you can take them down again! She sits near them and goes right up to them so that I used to move her, now I leave her sitting there as she can't do any damage :D

During free range time mine take to chewing the outside of the hutch :roll:

They also took a fancy to my skirting boards when I let them in the kitchen during summertime! I think, as another poster has said, it tastes rather sweet!

Doughnut is adamant on stripping my lining paper and getting down to the plaster.

I've put plastic corners up so she can't chew them now and I put them up with blu tack so you can take them down again! She sits near them and goes right up to them so that I used to move her, now I leave her sitting there as she can't do any damage :D

:shock: I just looked at your photo at the bottom of the post and had to take a 2nd look ............:shock::shock::shock: your bunny looks soooo much like Gizmo before his long coat came through . :lol::wave::wave::wave: Beautiful bunny.

As for the corners idea i may have to try that and see if they like plastic too :roll:

:shock: I just looked at your photo at the bottom of the post and had to take a 2nd look ............:shock::shock::shock: your bunny looks soooo much like Gizmo before his long coat came through . :lol::wave::wave::wave: Beautiful bunny.

As for the corners idea i may have to try that and see if they like plastic too :roll:

Ah thank you, she is very cute but a little pickle sometimes, especially when it comes to the chewing of my walls!

I got the corners from Wickes but all DIY places do them and I cut them with scissors. She now stretches up as far as she can to have a nibble above it so I may have to go back to get another strip and cut them longer. They are only a couple of pounds and well worth it. It's just plastic edging.

It doesn't save the skirting though, as she's moving on to that now. For such a little rabbit she is so full of mischief. She has apple sticks to chew which she loves but still loves the house too.

Back