• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Post traumatic stress in a bunny ???

bunnylover4

Warren Scout
Hi all
Bit of a strange one. Gizmo started weeing in his bed and over grooming ever since his accident a few weeks back. We noticed he had flakey looking skin now (due to stress the mites have gone on a rampage) :?
Anyway gizmo was becoming very withdrawn and spent most of his time in his bed weeing in there too. Alex his partner seems fine but gizmo isn't right .
We took gizmo back to our vet who confirmed the mites so injected him and Alex but the interesting thing is she thinks gizmo's behaviour changes and laziness is due to post traumatic stress !!! :shock:

In a way it makes sense but I never knew rabbits could get something like that. But with everything gizmo has been through its hardly surprising . I have been advised by my very good vet to try a drop of rescue remedy on each ear and see if it helps. It is for humans but its a flower herb so safe for bunnies too. I will let you know how he goes , also if any of you have any suggestions of things I could try to help him I would be very grateful

I think bunny will need a few months to fully recover from the stress of the acciident. Some of the buns are moulting now and that is also stressful so you'll just have to be gentle with him and hopefully he will get his enthusiasm back.

I think bunny will need a few months to fully recover from the stress of the acciident. Some of the buns are moulting now and that is also stressful so you'll just have to be gentle with him and hopefully he will get his enthusiasm back.

Yes i agree. :( he has been through so much so we are taking one day at a time. We put clean bedding in daily [they have blankets not straw due to one having an allergy to straw :shock:] so lots of blankets going through the wash [with fairy because its gentle LOL]

He actually played with a toilet roll filled with hay and some apple chips last night so it was nice to see him not grooming constantly. We are also giving him extra fuss when he is out to try and encourage him which he seems to love :love:

He is having the rescue remedy on his ears at night [some times] which seems to stop him hiding in his bed AS MUCH:?
But at least its a start lots of bunny vibes and love needed for our little man , who is so sweet in temperment and such an affectionate bunny. It makes me so sad to think how much he has been through:( :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Back