• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Covering hutches in winter

Natty123

Warren Scout
Not sure if this is in the right section, but I would quite like some ideas on winter-proofing hutches. I was thinking maybe wrapping old duvets, towels or bed sheets around the outside of the hutch then covering it in some sort of tarpaulin cover or something, possibly an outside barbecue cover? Also, would a pillow inside the hutch for them to snuggle into be okay? There are loads of old sheets and duvets on eBay, so thought it might be a cheap, but effective way to keep the hutch warm in the cooler months ;)

not sure about a pillow to be honest i don't think i'd put one in...i know lots of people use barley straw (this is not so coarse) during winter for extra warmth and loads more hay
tarpaulin is good to weatherproof and bubble wrap is a good insulator, if you could some fleece over the hutch that would be good but keeping it dry is the problem :?

Personally I would not recommend duvets, towels, blankets etc. it doesn't matter how well covered you keep them, they will inevitably get damp through dew/moisture in the air, and damp coverings will actually draw heat out instead of keeping it in. I would either insulate the inside (e.g. Use normal insulating materials covered with board) or, if the space inside needs to be maintained, something like bubble wrap or foil insulation which will not absorb moisture.

Mine aren't really given additional insulation beyond covering over the mesh doors with clear plastic - ensuring there is still plenty of air flow, instead I have an extra box inside the hutch which is stuffed with hay, so they have a small space they can climb into and get all cosy. Normally they sit outside whatever the weather, though!

Back