• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fostering

willowflower27

Mama Doe
Hi I noticed that there is a rescue in my area looking for fosters and I was tempted to volunteer but was just wondering if any one could share there experience so I could have a better idea of if I'd be suited for the job before I contact the rescue directly, do you need to be in all day and would having other pets be a problem etc
Thanks

It will vary depending on the rescue you volunteer with, but for me it was just like having them as my own. They stayed with me until someone could offer them more. They were treated as my bunnies and looked after exactly as I would look after them if they belonged to me (which often they did, in the end).

What was vital for my rescue was that I had a car and could transport them to the vets when necessary. I chose to provide accommodation food, hay, and half (and often more) the vet bills. I found it was great when they went to the right home for them and devastating if they went to a home where I knew their needs could not be met.

I have fosters here, and like Sky-o said, you treat them like they are your own, feed them, care for them, love them, but also always remember they are not yours. It is hard when the first few go to a new home, or if you have had them a while, but the thing to remember is, if you keep them, you cant help any more :D.

I only pay for food and bedding, the rescue covers all the vet bills.

Back