• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby gates

HoneyBear

Mama Doe
Anyone use a baby gate for their buns?
Bear has been climbing the stairs a lot recently and not worked out how to get down yet, he currently sits at the top waiting for you to carry him back down!
I dot want him to hurt himself falling so want to try a baby gate.
Can anyone recommend a good one? Have been looking online and the bars seem quite far apart, not sure they wouldn't squeeze through! Especially Alice who is a 900g nethie!

I can't help with baby gates but I have always used fireguards to stop buns going in or out. Hope Alice's eye is better.

I am sorry, I have no advice as I have not used a baby gate for buns. I am thinking of using a gate so will look for replies.

However I have lots of experience of using baby gates with babies! Some of them kind of slam shut which would not be good for a bounding rabbit! The gaps do look a little big.

I use one to enclose 2 of my rabbits as there isn't a door on their room and no way of putting one on. Never had any problems with it, or with them escaping through the bars. I've got a dutch and a dutch cross in there, so about 2-3kg, but have had a 1.5kg dwarf in there as well and none of them could get through. Agreed though that some mesh and cable ties would resolve the problem if you're worried about it.

I have a Lindam gate for Olly and Honey, to shut them in their room at night. When they were smaller they could just squeeze through at the sides, but now they're fully grown it's fine, they're only mini lops :wave:

I have a Lindam gate for Olly and Honey, to shut them in their room at night. When they were smaller they could just squeeze through at the sides, but now they're fully grown it's fine, they're only mini lops :wave:

Yeah I use lindam gates too. I would get a normal child gate and put some mesh/chicken wire on it if you are concerned they will be able to get through the gaps :)

Have to say I use them, but I must caution you, some of the non drill ones rabbits MAY decide to try and pull down as my girl has done before to get upstairs. Shes had a few lucky escapes managing to run out of the way before it's fell, but neverless it can be very dangerous on the stairs. Shes a dutch rabbit, so medium sized I believe.

Back