• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How to mix Ribena into Baytril? Myxo Diagnosed

Furry-Holic

Alpha Buck
I've got to start giving Jet 1ml of Baytril once a day starting tomorrow as vet said she had 'lumpy bunny syndrome' which I assume is the same as atypical myxomatosis? I'm going to mix the baytril with ribena but i'm not quite sure how to do it :oops: Is it as simple as sucking a bit of ribena up the syringe and then the baytril or should i mix it both together in a dish and then suck it into the syringe? Also, do I literally add the ribena from the bottle, i don't need to add water to it?

Last edited:
Personally I would suggest nt using ribena due to the high sugar content and how concentrated it is. I'd be inclined to use apple juice, something else rabbit safe. If you can make it freshly squeezed that is better, because the stuff you can buy has more sugar in. However, that's not always practical. Better options are infusions, however, they are probably not going to have a strong enough taste to mask the Baytril. A better option, actually, would probably be to use something like Ella's Kitchen babyfood which will mask it nicely. I use it for a lot of my meds (not sure why I left this to last to mention) and they bunnies just lap it up. I find the 'apple apple apple' easiest to syringe out, however there are many other options too.

As for how you do it, that's totally up to you and what works, but with baby food I tend to mix it in and either syringe it to them (which they take by choice mostly) or leave it on a plate for them to lap up (whilst potentially distracting bonded friends).

Yup :)

I use Ella's Kitchen because it's all organic. I use the fruit/vegetable ones that are bunny safe. Bunnies love it. I've also occasionally used Hipp 'Apple, Banana and Strawberry' puree. If you check the ingredients and all are safe then it's worth giving it a try :)

Thank you that's a great idea, I'll try that and also put it on a plate to see if she'll take it that way. That'll reduce the stress a little bit. I just hope the medicine works, i'm so worried but i'm trying to be positive. x

I can't remember which one the baytril is now, is it the thick liquid one?

If so I've used basil leaves to sandwich the liquid in

I can't remember which one the baytril is now, is it the thick liquid one?

If so I've used basil leaves to sandwich the liquid in

Yeah I think it's quite thick and def a liquid. That's a good idea but she won't eat Basil :( ever such a fuss pot when it comes to foood.x

Personally I would suggest nt using ribena due to the high sugar content and how concentrated it is. I'd be inclined to use apple juice, something else rabbit safe. If you can make it freshly squeezed that is better, because the stuff you can buy has more sugar in. However, that's not always practical. Better options are infusions, however, they are probably not going to have a strong enough taste to mask the Baytril. A better option, actually, would probably be to use something like Ella's Kitchen babyfood which will mask it nicely. I use it for a lot of my meds (not sure why I left this to last to mention) and they bunnies just lap it up. I find the 'apple apple apple' easiest to syringe out, however there are many other options too.

If you dilute full sugar ribena 1:4 with water (as you would to drink it) it has less sugar than neat apple juice (bought unsweetened) as like you say the bought ones are really high in sugar.

Someone I know puts it on a shreddie and the bunny then eats it ok, if she won't eat it with banana e

If you do have major problems, some vet will give you the injectable form and show you how to do it.

Bit of good news, I put it onto a slice of apple let it soak in for a minute and she gobbled it up :D So pleased as was really worried about it. x

Back