• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Update on Molly :) GREAT NEWS!!

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hey

Most of you probably know about Molly and her sore hocks. She's had them since she was 6 months old, she is now 5 years old. We have struggled during the summer months, when she gets abscesses, which need to be lanced and drained, given antibiotics and pain relief. At one point, when she was around 3 years old, she lost weight, was depressed, was doing poorly on antibiotics, had a number of abscesses on her feet at once, it looked like she wouldn't recover. :cry:

Now, at 5 years old, this is her first summer where she hasn't had any abscesses that needed to be lanced. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

I could never have dreamt that this would happen. She has only had one abscess this year that needed draining, which I think was in March. In past years, she would have had over 10 abscesses. :cry: This summer was different, I decided to fight it before infection set in. So in June, I took her to the vet for permission to give her Metacam over the summer months. The vet was perfectly happy with this. So for the past 4 months, Molly has had Metacam daily with Aloe Vera gel applied on the hocks. She has had a few "spots" that looked like they might develop into abscesses, but I applied some salt water, and they soon disappeared.

I'm so happy. Today was her last Metacam dose, so fingers crossed she copes ok without any pain relief, but winter is usually fine for her, so I have high hopes. I will certainly repeat this treatment course next summer.

Cannot believe your girls are 5 years old! :shock: They are a credit to all the hard work you have put in, and what amazing news !! :D:D You should be so proud xx

thank you. :D I'm so happy and it makes me glad to see Molly so happy, comfortable and healthy-looking. She has a gorgeous coat and her eyes sparkle. :D

Back