• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this promising?

Ellasyn

Mama Doe
I started bonding herbie and delilah today. They have had cage swaps and toy swaps and lived right next to eachother for a while now, and its finally over 6 weeks since their neuter/spay and with this lovely weather I thought today would be perfect. I neutralised the run and blocked it off so there was only 4ftx3ft for me and 2 bunnies. Pile of hay in the middle and released both. There was a bit of humping and vague chasing (more like following then getting bored), a bit of both of them putting their heads down to eachother and neither grooming and then getting bored and hopping off to nom hay. herb was very tolerant of delilahs occasional humping, and after about 30 mins they were cuddled up together. Since then I cautiously expanded their access to the 6ftx4ft section of the run and after some binkies they have nommed, cuddled and generally looked like they were together forever. Is that good or is it too good to be true? I have enough time to move them into the spare room and watch all weekend if its promising and they can then if it goes well live together permanently without having to keep dating. Im concerned because I know delilah is a feisty girl (supposedly aggressive to people and bunnies in P@H) and herb seems so indifferent to what happens around him.

This is my first time bonding bunnies so Im still not sure what to expect and whats best to do.

That sounds very promising indeed. I would keep them together now and put them in their permanent housing so they can start to settle down. Good luck (although I don't think you need it)!

Only trouble is the permanent housing is outside, and Im not up to camping out in this weather. I dont mind freezing the spare room, but its a bit much ouside with no duvet, and Im not sure they want me to sleep in the playhouse with them :lol: They look absolutely adorable together which is a relief, I just feel a bit uncomfortable having seen no signs of bad between them, like it might just all explode with horrible fights later without me seeing it coming.

It is sounding promising. :thumb::thumb:

Even the most seasoned on bondings can have their moments. Estelle and Frankie who have been together for just over a year are usually totally in love, and then just sometimes they have a tiff and spend time in different corners of the garden.

I hope your bonding continues to head in the right direction.:thumb:

Well so far so good, theyre currently cuddled together nomming hay. If this goes well im one seriously lucky girl, getting two P@H rehome "reject" buns, herb was bullied by the others, seriously underweight, bite through his ear, sad looking. Delilah agressive to people and bunnies and now, neutered and happy and cuddled together with no problems. I had just assumed they wouldnt bond and I would end up getting a rescue bunfriend for each, even made sure I allocated space in the garden for the extra setup. Ill be so very happy if it carries on like this!

A lot of bonded rabbits get along right from the start so hopefully these two will. I rescued a female the other week and put her with Thomas and they got on straightaway and they're still happy. So it's good to know they have found happiness and a loving home.

Theyre still happy! (and Im even more so) They were scatter fed pellets because I didnt want food based arguments, which went down well. Do you think its safe to introduce toys or is that asking for disagreements? I have a few wood chew ball things and some hay roll things and jingle balls and tunnels. It just seems a bit bare in there with just litter trays. Also, the runs almost finished, just need to work out the best way to attach the corrugated plastic sheets to the top of the run so theyre dry and its all perfect!

Toys

I had toys in my run when I first started bonding.It kida helped because they were busy playing and eating then concentrating on each other.
Hope this helps;)

Well, toys went in yesterday, this morning they were sunning round like happy crazy bunnies, this evening I find them cuddled in the litter tray together nomming hay :love: they seem to have been the easiest bond imaginable, which makes me pretty darn lucky!

Back