• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding 2 year old males

Dh1971

Young Bun
I've read through lots of posts on here and can't find exactly the info I'm after.

I have 2 wo year old neutered males, one was only neutered 3 weeks ago and has healed nicely. The vet said I should wait 3 weeks before bonding.

I'm looking for a step by step IDE but I can't seem to find a definitive answer.

Last night I put them in a new run together. After initial humping by Flopsy, Jasper got a bit fed up and ran off, this went on for about 5 minutes. Then there was a bit of ignoring, then some time nose to nose.
Flopsy had another go at humping but Jasper wasn't having any of it and ran off again, a bit of chasing each other in circles etc.

Then it started getting dark so I put them back in the hutches, which have runs under and have been side by side all their lives.

Do I need to do this daily? My intention is that they will live in the shed which we are currently converting together.

Time is an issue, I work full time and we are a family if 6, and whilst I'd happily give up all weekend to bonding, the husband isn't so compassionate!

Is there a post somewhere that will give me step by step advice and how long it will take?

Hey. It's not really possible to do a step by step guide because each bunny is different and everyone's circumstances are different, therefore each bonding is different. However there are basic rules to follow, but even these may need to be adjusted in some situations. On my website (Flash's Place link in my sig) under 'Rabbit Care Info' there is an article about bonding which mentions those rules and hopefully other bits of info useful for bonding.

I would also say its desired to wait 6-8 weeks post neuter before bonding so I personally would wait for another 5 weeks.

Ok thank you. That might actually be better because by then their shed will be ready, neither will have been in there, so it would be neutral space.

I will read your article, many thanks

Back