• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to line hutch floor with?

LilRabbit25

Warren Scout
I am currently building an indoor rabbit hutch but what should I line it with - carpet, rugs, towels???? Because if I don't then after a few years it might get slightly dirty (maybe if a poop misses the litterbox or pee) and the wood will get stained. A material that I can replace would be best however my rabbit likes chewing and sometimes eats carpet.

Would lino work if you covered it over with something? I had lino in my shed and my rabbits didn't try and chew it. Lino would be easy to keep clean. I wouldn't recommend plastic, as they would likely try and chew it and that can be dangerous if they swallow any of it.

I am currently building an indoor rabbit hutch but what should I line it with - carpet, rugs, towels???? Because if I don't then after a few years it might get slightly dirty (maybe if a poop misses the litterbox or pee) and the wood will get stained. A material that I can replace would be best however my rabbit likes chewing and sometimes eats carpet.

I would create a plywood floor and lino it, or if i was really worried i would create a plywood floor for hutch base then attached another piece of plywood on top then lino. So if anything does soak in to the plywood, it would be contained in the top plywood.

I would glue Lino to the base before you assemble it (so there are no corners available for bunnies to chew) and then put a bead of sealant all the way round the edges when it is put together. Regardless of what you put on top of it, this keeps the base dry and sound and is easy peasy to clean as everything sweeps out simply and dries quickly after disinfecting. I would always line bunny accommodation with Lino from now on, I first did it last year and can't believe how much easier it makes things!

Back