• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny not eating

helens

Warren Scout
Would like any advice available because I am really worried about my bunny.

Let the bunnies out as normal on Thursday morning and noticed one was really quiet and refusing to eat. Immediately took him to the vet and he was given injections of metacam, zantac, baytril and metoclopramide. He was also given panacur (once daily), metacam (once daily) and zantac (three times daily) to be given at home. Upon returning from the vet he did start to nibble at hay and has also managed small pieces of fenugreek crunchies which are his favourite treat. The vet wanted to see him again today - his temperature is fine as are his teeth. He felt all of his stomach and said that felt fine but a little empty. I have now also been given supreme science recovery to give to him.
My main worry is that he does not seem to be showing signs of improvement. He is moving around and spending time in the run but just seems so lethargic and miserable. My heart is breaking for him. Up until now he has been a healthy, happy bunny and I cannot understand what has triggered this. His partner is fine - eating and drinking as normal.
If anybody has any experience of something similar could you please let me know how long it was until you noticed an improvement in your bunny and if there is anything else I should be doing for him. I am offering him all his favourite food, providing him with lots of hay and have made sure he has water available in both a bowl and a bottle. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks. :(

Is your bunny refusing all food or just certain foods? Did your vet check his teeth?

My bunny stopped eating a couple of weeks ago completely then had meds and was back to normal 48 hours later. On Weds she stopped eating, gave her the same meds noticed she was eating most things except pellets and fenugreek crunchies were hit and miss. Turns out she needed a dental as yesterday morning she stopped eating completely.

Try lots of herbs to get him eating, I find thyme is a good one, also blackberry leaves, parsely and coriander.

He is refusing all foods except the odd bit of fenugreek crunchie. Both vets within the practice have checked his teeth and said they are fine. He is usually a really good eater and loves thyme, parsley, coriander and basil - all of which he is now refusing. I am at a complete loss as to why he is refusing to eat

If you can get hold of some Oxbow critical care I find it is better and they tend to like the taste of it better. The fine blend one is also easier to syringe.

I am having trouble getting Katy to eat after her dental and some people have recommended mixing the critical care in with baby food e.g. Hipps organic veg medley, elle's kitchen banana and apple as these don't have additives.

If your bunny is not eating by tom morning I would take him back.

I can't think of anything else to add to what others have advised, but really hope your bunny improves soon. xx

Thanks for all the advice. Will get some oxbow critical care first thing in the morning
It is not normally available in the shops, so ask your vet or maybe ring round other vets to see if they stock it. I normally keep a couple of packs in my first aid box as they do have long shelf life normally. They are about £10 from vetuk but the packs are quite big.

You can also add some warm water to pellets to soften them and see if he will take them like that or via a syringe (not as easy as the oxbow fine blend though).

Sending mega vibes for your bunny. It could still be his teeth, it is impossible to see all of the back teeth properly while the bunny is conscious. Xx

How is he doing today?

I had to take mine back as she still won't eat after the dental. She was given some vetergesic and B12 injection. Our vet does not have any zantac in as apparently it has been taken off shelves so waiting for it to come out again.

He seems to have picked up this afternoon. Has nibbled some hay and had some small pieces of his favourite treats. I have also given him grated apple and carrot. He is much livelier in himself and has been climbing through his tunnel and sitting in and chewing his favourite hay ball. I just hope the improvement continues. Thanks for all the advice and vibes. I will be keeping a close eye on him as my gut instinct suspects it might still be his teeth.

Bunny babe, really hope your bunny starts eating again soon

He seems to have picked up this afternoon. Has nibbled some hay and had some small pieces of his favourite treats. I have also given him grated apple and carrot. He is much livelier in himself and has been climbing through his tunnel and sitting in and chewing his favourite hay ball. I just hope the improvement continues. Thanks for all the advice and vibes. I will be keeping a close eye on him as my gut instinct suspects it might still be his teeth.

That sounds promising but I was in a similar situation to you a couple of weeks ago. I would advise you to get some Oxbow critical care for your first aid kit though. My other dental bunny used to start eating it and would then recover quite quickly once he got some into him.

I have just put Katy into a bunny burrito to give her some critical care, little horror held it in her mouth and spat it out. Did manage to get some into her though. Take 2 soon.................. She is such a diva.

Good news that he is starting to improve.:thumb::thumb:

Back