• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Goose had bloat - good news 14th Oct! Piccies added. Now Willow 17 Oct

KateB

Mama Doe
As the title really, Goose is poorly with bloat and has now been admitted for IV fluids as she has continued to get worse through the day despite treatment. We're very very worried.

Willow is home with us and is looking quite confused.

Last edited:
A mixed update: the fluids initially seemed to help and she was reported to be much brighter, but the bloating has not reduced overnight.

As I understand it, she's getting IV fluids, pain meds and metaclop' and abdominal massages.

I don't know what else they can do :cry:

A mixed update: the fluids initially seemed to help and she was reported to be much brighter, but the bloating has not reduced overnight.

As I understand it, she's getting IV fluids, pain meds and metaclop' and abdominal massages.

I don't know what else they can do :cry:

Have then done an abdominal U/S (to check for a full obstruction) and checked her blood glucose levels ?(significantly raised would point to a full obstruction)

Is the bloating in her intestines or is it her stomach ?

Could they also give simethicone or gripe water ?

Sending lots more vibes for her xx

A slightly positive update:

We were called to see her and the vet as they thought she was getting worse and it was time to say goodbye, so all of us and Willow went to see her.
Instead she looked brighter to us than when she had been admitted and there was a small pile of small poos. She really brightened up on seeing us all, and after lots of nose rubs from us, we put Willow in with her to see if he could cheer her up. They snuggled for a little while then she hopped over to her food bowl and started to eat pellets and nibble a carrot! :) She's still bloated but seemed slightly less so to us.
So treatment is continuing - Willow is back home with us as they weren't happy that they could monitor her well enough with them both there, and we were concerned that he would attack the drip.

I'm going back with some of her favourite foods and to have a long talk with the vets as I seem to be getting different explanations of her treatment from each vet that we have spoken to, and there are some suggestions I'd like to put to them.

Thank you all for your vibes - I think they're helping!

Have then done an abdominal U/S (to check for a full obstruction) and checked her blood glucose levels ?(significantly raised would point to a full obstruction)

Is the bloating in her intestines or is it her stomach ?

Could they also give simethicone or gripe water ?

Sending lots more vibes for her xx

They had apparently done an xray which showed it all in her stomach (although I wasn't told this until I asked :roll:) and 2nd vet I spoke to said she has had a little simethicone. The do seem to have been syringe feeding her, even though at 8am vet poo-pooed idea of syringing water to help soften any blockage as they didn't want to put anymore into her stomach. :?
I really dislike dealing with OOH vets - it would be handy if as well as sending over Goose's notes from our usual vet they could have added something to say that owner is not a muppet and can understand some vet-speak!

Back