• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

has anyone else got spinal arthritic bunnies?

winnies angel

Mama Doe
Jack has arthritis of the spine (we think) and the vet has put him on long term metacam now but I read about 2 other meds which were good for arthritis of the spine but which weren't a steroid and wondered if anyone else used these and what there side effects were (if they would be better in long term)
Carprofen (Rimadyl) & Flunixin meglumine (banamine)
cheers

Metacam is not a steroid, I'm almost certain of that. It's an anti inflammatory, I can't remember the correct name for this type of medication.

My Gypsy has arthritis in her spine and is on a low does of medacam. She also has food with glucosamine added, which also seems to help.

I have heard that turmeric is good for arthritis, but I have not tried it yet.

Metacam is a non steroidal anti-inflammatory.

Roxy has arthritis of the hips and spine among her other problems. She is on Metacam and it doesn't appear to concern her x

Flora is nine and a half and has arthritis of the lower spine. She finds it hard to bend down to her nether regions and has a very wobbly gait with one back foot that tends to fall underneath her body and make her tip to one side. If she gets knocked by Benji, she falls over. But that said, she still really enjoys life and bombs around the garden in her own wobbly way :D. She's on daily Metacam and doesn't seem to suffer any ill-effects from it. I would give her glucosomine but I've not found one that's vegetarian.

ETA - I've also just bought her one of these for the winter http://www.petnap.co.uk/acatalog/petnap.html as I feel that heat will help keep her comfortable. The 40cm pad fits perfectly into a large gravel tray which she currently uses to sit in. I've bought the fleece cover to go over it too.

Last edited:
Thanks guys yeah my other bunnies were on metacam long term one for 6 years and one for arthritis of the jaw.I know all the side effects etc about metacam and have signed the concent forms millions of times that it will shorten there lives, damage there insides etc etc (all the horror stories you are told from the vet) but I came across an article which said that Carprofen and Flunixin Meglumine was good but without the long term damage of steroid based meds and wondered what and if anyone had tried these and what they were like compared with metacam.
Obv I want to help my buns and know quality of life is far better than quantity but if I could have both quality and quantity (im greedy) then I want it! ;)

Back