• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advise on moving house with Rabbits.

foxy2279

Alpha Buck
We are veiwing a house tomorrow with the thoughts of moving in the next month or so. New place has a huge garden for the rabbits :D and a garage with power so the boys can go in there to stay warm over winter (car will be on the drive).

I am trying to think of the best way to move my two boys. Like to be prepared.

1) Send them to a bunny boarder for the weekend. Save them from all the stress of the noise and bussel of the move.

2) Leave their hutch to the very last thing and put them in their carrier and back into the hutch in the new house (could be two to three hours). Have to throughly clean the hutch right out for the removal men to take it.

3) Depending on weather put them in outside run. In carrier at last minute over to new house and set up run again and put them in it until hutch ready.

AAHH so confused. Any advise greatfully recieved.

Hi, when i moved last year, we did all the packing and stuff and left bunnies and their cage to the very last. Then we popped them into their carrier and drove them to the new place, which took about 2 hours. They took the move really well although as it was high summer, i was worried about the heat so made sure they were shaded and hydrated.

In general i dont like to move my bunnies to new environments even for just a few days as i find that stresses them out more than noise in their own environment. They took the packing noise fine and when we needed to do mega 'scary' things like vacuuming, we just shut them in the cage so they would feel safer.

Hope it helps and all the best with your move!

If it was me I would go down the boarding route, it is one less thing to worry about on the day. You can run yourself down in supplies which is less to move and then next day pop out and stock up with some supplies and then get bunnies back. For the small cost it will be it is definately worth the money and peace of mind.

Your best bet imo is No 2. This way bunnies will be out of their own environment for as short a time as possible. Can't you get the hutch cleaned out now and then keep it nice and clean ready for moving day?

Thank you all for your help. Very mixed opinions there.

The boys hutch has lino flooring so is easy to clean. I am just a worried first time bunny mummy. Wanting to do my best for them. They are outdoor rabbits so was worried about them getting to hot in the move and shedding their winter coat.

Will look at the quickist option to keep them with us. As Brownie is a very senitive lad and doesn't do change in his hutch well.

Last time we were moving, we cleaned out hutch in the morning and put them in an indoor cage. We transported them in that, and as soon as the hutch came out of the removal van, I made it up and put them back in.

If I was doing it again, I'd put them into boarding, but we were moving 300 miles, and involved an overnight stay. A kind B&B owner let us keep bunnies (and guineas) in their shed. It was July so they weren't cold

Back