• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

anyone had cavity wall insulation? - were the pets ok with the noise?*done*

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
we are having it done in a few weeks and they said it will take about 2 hours. is it constant noise for 2 hours? will the pets be ok with that?? :?

Last edited:
No..... it doesnt take them long to get thru a brick...............................and the stuff going in has hardly a noise at all.

There is noise............but its not pnuematic drilling pitch !!

It was quite noisy, but mostly when they are doing the drilling. When they were filling the cavity it wasn't too noisy at all. It wasn't great for the pets, but not as bad as I thought.

Last edited:
I had to put Nutmeg and Smudge in the car and go down the road with them. The actual cavity stuff was fine but they had to put in a vent and our walls are concrete so it made an awful noise and N&S were beside themselves.

I had to put Nutmeg and Smudge in the car and go down the road with them. The actual cavity stuff was fine but they had to put in a vent and our walls are concrete so it made an awful noise and N&S were beside themselves.

Oh yes, that's true - I'd forgotten that they had to put an extra vent in ours too, which was quite noisy. I don't think it's particularly common though.

is there anyway of them knowing if they need to put a vent in beforehand? wish we had a car so we could all go hide in there. :(

We have concrete walls though, making ANY type of hole is difficult and to not break the drill you have to use a special percussion one! I'm sure that makes everything much more noisy.

Last edited:
I ordered cavity wall insulation on groupon, then chickened out in case the buns were terrified! :oops: so I paid for nothing :roll: sorry that's not much help! :lol:

The only reason we had to have a vent put in, was because our boiler was an old sort, not on an outside wall, so they said it didn't meet current guidelines for ventilation to the boiler (wasn't getting enough air into it). I don't think this is particularly usual...

The only reason we had to have a vent put in, was because our boiler was an old sort, not on an outside wall, so they said it didn't meet current guidelines for ventilation to the boiler (wasn't getting enough air into it). I don't think this is particularly usual...

I suspect ours had to be put in because we have a coal fire.

I had it done earlier this year and it is quite noisy, but not deafeningly so. I thought the bunnies would be scared but they seemed fine. But I thought the cat would be fine and he looked really worried. He ended up hiding in my wardrobe.

I got mine on Groupon, but actually managed to get them to pay me for it as they were having some troubles so they sent me vouchers to apologise :)

had ours done earlier this year and it is noisey. the dog was fine but i had 2 baby rescue buns indoors at the time.
i moved them into the room with me, gave them a box to hide in and turned the telly up! they were a bit quiet and did hide in the box but they seemed ok and as soon as it stopped they were back to normal! :roll:

I was more worried about my autistic son :lol: so I checked which end of the house was going to be done, and moved son and buns to the furthest room away from the drilling...no problems at all :)

I was more worried about my autistic son :lol: so I checked which end of the house was going to be done, and moved son and buns to the furthest room away from the drilling...no problems at all :)

i have the option of moving them upstairs and then back down. don't know if that will make any difference :?

i have the option of moving them upstairs and then back down. don't know if that will make any difference :?

I'd be inclined to leave them where they are. It will be loudest when they are drilling directly outside the room they are in, but the upheaval of moving them about probably won't make things better, just to be slightly less noisy.

we decided to leave them all where they were and just comfort them if they got scared... and then the man cancelled anyway! he got stuck on another job so we are re-arranging it for sometime in the next two weeks.

next door had theirs done this morning. it was quite loud but bisc and matt weren't bothered at all. ches and maisie were more bothered by certain noises but just hid in their hay and poked their little noses out every so often until it was 'safe'. so i feel better about ours being done now in a couple of weeks. :D

Back