• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Possibly myxo in the Aberdeen rescue buns.

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
I noticed that Snuffles had a wee lump on her eyebrow yesterday- rather like she had run into something( being blind it is possible) so I decided to monitor it, today it had a dark centre but is no bigger and there are no others on her. On checking Olga, she had the appearance of conjunctivitis and a lump on her eyelid, some tiny scabs on her nose and a lump behind her ears.
The vet thinks it could be myxo but too early to tell, Oglala has had a micotil injection ( I know people disagree with micotil in rabbits but my vets use it for pastureland type infections) and they both have fucithalmic. We have ordered advantage to treat all the Aberdeen buns and they are still separate from ' my lot', so we thing they will be ok.
The Aberdeen rabbits were vaccinated on the 27/9 and most are in hutches in the stables, I have seen no myxo rabbits around here and my vets have only had 2 myxo rabbits in, a month or so ago. I am hopeful it's not myxo, if it is my vet is hopeful it is the nodular form and they will have a 50/ 50 chance of survival.
Both girls are now in the utility room, in isolation from the others.
I seem to remember reading on here that a high temp helps fight the infection, can anybody recall the details!

Oh no :(
I hope that it isn't too bad a case if you know what I mean.

Will be thinking of you all.xx

Was gutted to hear when Debbie phoned :( hope the girls can make a full recovery!

I will keep an eye on the two "Aberdeen" fosters i have here, worrying times :(

are you sure its myxi and not myxi type symptoms that are side effects of the vaccine .. we have had three that developed lumps which scabbed . they were fine in 2 weeks .

f you read the info on novibac website it does say that this can happen and that rabbits that react this way then have a greater imunity .

are you sure its myxi and not myxi type symptoms that are side effects of the vaccine .. we have had three that developed lumps which scabbed . they were fine in 2 weeks .

f you read the info on novibac website it does say that this can happen and that rabbits that react this way then have a greater imunity .

I hope you are right, I'll get the vet to check the info on this. How do you know the difference. I personally cannot believe it is myxo as I have had rabbits here, arriving unvaccinated and during outbreaks where rabbits were dying in our fields, but I also know anything is possible.
Olga looks worse and has conjunctivitis- has this happened with your buns too?
Thanks for the info though, I've got Snuffles in tomorrow as I just rushed Olga in today, so will talk to the vet then.

Hope they are ok, i cant stop thinking about you and the bunnies :(

On the bright side (for my fosters) David said it was contracted after the FBRC ones came down from Aberdeen, which doesnt help you, but saves a panic here.

I hope you are right, I'll get the vet to check the info on this. How do you know the difference. I personally cannot believe it is myxo as I have had rabbits here, arriving unvaccinated and during outbreaks where rabbits were dying in our fields, but I also know anything is possible.
Olga looks worse and has conjunctivitis- has this happened with your buns too?
Thanks for the info though, I've got Snuffles in tomorrow as I just rushed Olga in today, so will talk to the vet then.

i was in a panic too when it happened with the first as id had a wildie in my garden ..:shock:

but then another who was with a fosterer but had been vaccs same day had similar symptoms and we knew that it was too much of a coincidence not to be reaction to the vaccine .. these reactions were between 1 and 2 weeks after vaccs .

then another bun ...housebun ...with a fosterer had a similar but worse reaction .. again around 2 weeks after vaccs ...

the first two we treat with tiacil eyedrops as the sores were on the eye lids and we wanted to prevent complications ... fir and well otherwise ...totaly gone within 2 weeks .

the third had a swelling on genitals and lumps on ears .. treat with antibiotics as a precaution and again cleared up quickly . no other problems.

time scale and everything fits .. im 100% confident as is my vet that it was side effects from vaccine .

louise .. you can look up the info yourself ..you dont need to ask your vet .. i found it easily .

of course there is a possibility its myxi yours have ...but it sounmds very much as our experience ..so i think possibly not .

Olga has another lump in the other eyelid, but other than that they seem bright. I am hoping it is a reaction to the vaccine, but at the same time have to be careful just in case.
I have antibiotic injection to give, Olga is on fucithalmic and fibreplex but there are the usual amounts of poops, so I hope it's a good sign.

I went through the notes with the vet and he also thinks it could be a vaccine reaction, but we cannot assume,just in case it is the infection.

Olga has another lump in the other eyelid, but other than that they seem bright. I am hoping it is a reaction to the vaccine, but at the same time have to be careful just in case.
I have antibiotic injection to give, Olga is on fucithalmic and fibreplex but there are the usual amounts of poops, so I hope it's a good sign.

I went through the notes with the vet and he also thinks it could be a vaccine reaction, but we cannot assume,just in case it is the infection.

has your vet contacted the company ... all these reactions need reporting so that the company can keep updating their info

Both rabbits seem no worse, Olga has another lump on her other eye, but is as grumpy as can be so isn't easy to examine or treat. Snuffles lump has not changed and other than sneezing more which may be due to being inside, seems fine (she always has sneezed, hence the name Snuffles- she wasn't named by us)
I really do not think it myxo now, surely they would be an awful lot worse by now, wouldn't they?

Back