• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rocky on 38kg dose of dog metacam!

Lady Logamorph

Mama Doe
Rocky has just a dental and the vet has prescribed the same as a 38kg dog would have :shock:

The last time I took one of the buns to the vet they told me to give her the same in dog weight as her so she was on 5kg dose.

They explained that they had had a rabbit expert in and the doses have been upped. Just in case anyone else gets confused. Apparently its very difficult to overdose a rabbit because there metabolism is very fast.

That's still a lot :eek:

Last time I was given metacam it was 4x bodyweight

Don't make me panic again! I wonder who the rabbit expert was who told the vets the dosage? I will ask tomorrow when I go back. He is 4.5 kg so its over 8 times the amount. He is ok on it but it's still scary giving him that dose.

Out of interest was this change very recent?

A few weeks ago Poppy was on a few drops but last time I went the vet checked a website to get the dosage (I've never noticed him do that before) and advised 0.6mls once daily. I didn't question it but was just wondering if it's because things have changed in the last few weeks?

Makes administering easier.

Yes it was only this week and about a month ago they gave me a much smaller dose so very recent. I will ask them about it though when I go in tomorrow and how they work the dose out.

Ginger can have up to 1.2ml of dog metacam per day, but could go higher with new 'findings' but it's working right now. That's quite a lot for a 1.5Kg bunny you may think when you consider how much that'd be in weight in a dog :shock: :)

Ginger can have up to 1.2ml of dog metacam per day, but could go higher with new 'findings' but it's working right now. That's quite a lot for a 1.5Kg bunny you may think when you consider how much that'd be in weight in a dog :shock: :)

It gets very confusing with some people dosing it in ml and some people using the syringe thingy and some people giving it in drops as well!

I asked the vets yesterday and they said that they had an exotics vet from the Ashleigh Vet Practice in and also when they go online for dosage it has been increased quite alot. He thinks that given in the smaller doses its probably not helped rabbits but not harmed them either.

Back