• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Downstairs run

Julialarubia

Warren Scout
We bought a hutch with downstairs run and Cookie won't use it. How do I encourage her to go up and down? We are fixing up a proper run very soon for the exercise she needs.

Mine only started using theirs when they had hutches like that after I put them in the bottom bit, they sometimes take a while. If you did that then you would have to make sure she either goes upstairs herself or you have to put her up yourself. You could always cover the ramp in carpet so she has some grip :)

Thanks for that. I decided the best thing would be to find a larger hutch anyway and someone has given us a nice one. My daughter isn't happy as she bought the other one new but I was anxious for Cookie to have more room. So, the new one is now standing empty :(! If we decide to buddy Cookie up, we might need to use it. Many thanks for your advice.

Harry didn't seem to realise he had a bottom part of his hutch for a while. Eventually he was lured down there by his hay - I had put it in a hard plastic cup so he had to work to get it out (mental stimulation and all that!) and because the cup could roll, after some time it fell down the ramp. He wasn't sure at first but his stomach soon won over his uncertainty and he went down the ramp after it.

If I was going to teach a bunny about ramps again, I think I would put a bit of a treat food on each 'rung' and hope they would follow it down.

Back